Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motability car usage

Motability car usage

My wife has just been awarded the enhanced mobility allowance which seems to have many advantages, including the Motability system.

As I am the only driver, she cannot drive due to her disability, it would appear that I will not be able to use the car unless it is specifically for her benefit?

Is this assessment correct? Having the car would be of enormous benefit to her each and every time she needs to go anywhere but it would mean that the car would have to sit on the drive and I would take the bus (if there was one?).

I'm sure there must be a reasonable answer to this question but I have yet to find it.

I look forward to any advice I can get.

Thanks in anticipation.

This question crops up from time to time and there are a range of views on this. Basically I think that, in the cases where the Motability user is unable to drive it is reasonable for the named driver to use the car to go about their daily business ie shopping, going to work etc as such activities are for the benefit of the Motability user. It's probably better to consider this in terms of the listed misuses (from the Motability website):

Misuse would include:

Not giving the disabled person the benefit of the car
    Driving whilst uninsured or banned
    Using the car in a criminal act
    Lending, sub-leasing or selling the car
    Using the car for unauthorised business purposes, for example, as a taxi or delivery vehicle
    Not taking proper care of your car

If you avoid these you will be OK.
    Caring is an art not a science

Quote Originally Posted by Dibble708 View Post
    My wife has just been awarded the enhanced mobility allowance which seems to have many advantages, including the Motability system.

As I am the only driver, she cannot drive due to her disability, it would appear that I will not be able to use the car unless it is specifically for her benefit?

Is this assessment correct? Having the car would be of enormous benefit to her each and every time she needs to go anywhere but it would mean that the car would have to sit on the drive and I would take the bus (if there was one?).

I'm sure there must be a reasonable answer to this question but I have yet to find it.

I look forward to any advice I can get.

Thanks in anticipation.
    Whilst a number of views can be expressed here I would recommend you speak to Motability Customer Services, they are very helpful and approachable and will be able to give you a definitive answer to your question. 0300 456 4566 is their number.

Hi best to also take note ( for future Refs ) that a drivers former NCD (usually) will only be considered/proteted for a further two years.
    Once you have been solely insured under the mobility scheme for over two years you often then lose your NCD Something to be aware of.

BUT:................Motability will give a written confirmation of a drivers record whist using RCA, which is accepted by most insurers as an equivalent to an NCD record.
    Source: Today's Motability magazine.

If only that was accepted by most insurers I assure you it is not ( look no caps )
    As the car is owned by Motability Operations Ltd you will not accrue any personal no-claims bonus.

Any personal no-claims history held before joining the Scheme may no longer be accepted by insurers if you leave the Scheme. Some insurance companies may honour previous personal no claims history, but this is usually only for a period of up to 2 or 3 years.

If you leave the Scheme, RSA Motability (RSAM) may be able to provide a claims history letter which details any claims made by you and your nominated drivers along with the period of time you have had claims free driving.

Taken from mobiltyscheme website today My advice stands
    Last edited by sable22; 07-27-2017 at 11:23 PM.

When my wife left the scheme, due to failing her PIP transition, we phoned around for insurance quotes for a private car. More>Than - which is RSA's brand name for private insurance - would not accept it, even though we already had another vehicle insured with them.

However, Aviva were happy to do so, and said that they would take it verbally and only ask for it in the event of a claim within the first year. They were about half the price of More>Than, and almost the same as the best we got on comparethemarket, so we went with them as a trusted name.

Quote Originally Posted by sable22 View Post
    If only that was accepted by most insurers I assure you it is not ( look no caps )
    As the car is owned by Motability Operations Ltd you will not accrue any personal no-claims bonus.

Any personal no-claims history held before joining the Scheme may no longer be accepted by insurers if you leave the Scheme. Some insurance companies may honour previous personal no claims history, but this is usually only for a period of up to 2 or 3 years.

If you leave the Scheme, RSA Motability (RSAM) may be able to provide a claims history letter which details any claims made by you and your nominated drivers along with the period of time you have had claims free driving.

Taken from mobiltyscheme website today My advice stands
    And I got my info from the Motability publication, so why is yours more relevant than mine? Your last para echoes what I put, so what exactly is your argument?

This question came up in the latest edition of Lifestyle.

See column “Claims History”.

http://live.editiondigital.com/e/176...yle-96#!page22

@ stree Point being someones NCD will very likely be lost in year 3 of being on the mobilty scheme
    You say that (BUT:................Motability will give a written confirmation of a drivers record whist using RCA, which is accepted by MOST insurers as an equivalent to an NCD record.)
    That is not correct as most will not. p/s Far from an arguement as it was you who questioned my facts not the other way around.
    Here is my post again in case you misread it
    Hi best to also take note ( for future Refs ) that a drivers former NCD (usually) will only be considered/proteted for a further two years.
    Once you have been solely insured under the mobility scheme for over two years you often then lose your NCD
    Something to be aware of. FACT