Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have I done a Rip Van Winkle

Aye, but at this time of year it never goes dark up there. (Different story in winter when it never gets light).

I remember being in Tongue at this time of year, sat looking over the bay watching the sun go down over the horizon at 12:30 AM and come back up at 1:30 AM.

I like the North of Scotland, but I think I'll stick with North West Cumbria.
    (Even here it gets light at about 3 AM this time of year).

PS. Nearly had a move of house to Dounreay once, but ended up doing the design from down here at Sellafield.
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-30-2017 at 01:37 AM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Lovely I live just south of manchester .Good area I never lock my doors when I go out but the air pollution is horrendous and every green space has been built on despite that it is considered a desirable place to live and the house prices are high .Planning to move to Cornwall .where my daughter her husband and my 5year old grandson live .so I can see him grow up .Might take up surfing do you think they have specially adapted surfboards

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post

I remember being in Tongue at this time of year, sat looking over the bay watching the sun go down over the horizon at 12:30 AM and come back up at 1:30 AM.
    Methinks you may have had a little too much of the Amber Nectar. At this time of year it gets dark about 10pm and then does not start to get light until 5am. As I type this it is quite dark outside. Even at the end of June, (Longest Day), it is never that light for that long.

The only place where it gets any where near that length of daylight is right at the tip of Shetland, Muckle Flugga, which is around 500 miles further north than Thurso. I am one of the few people who have lived on Muckle Flugga as there is nothing there on that rock except a Lighthouse. I was posted there as a Lighthouse Keeper in 1984. and even during the longest day the Navigation Light is on for nearly 3 hours that night.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

Nope, I remember it well.

It was 23 or 24 June 1988, stopped b&b for the night in a cottage up a track off the main road above the town.

It was actually the local registrars house and wedding banns were posted in the entrance hall.

And yes we were sat sampling some Glenmorangie and were very surprised to see what time it was when the sun went down and came up again.

Of course being up on the hill would make a big difference to being down at sea level.
    The higher up you are the further away the horizon is.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I will be happy when Autumn comes around, sigh!

I never moan about cold weather anymore. My husband is a New Zealander. We have lived in both NZ and Australia. I was fit and able back then. I became a postie in Sydney. Trust me, delivering mail in 40 degree heat is a nightmare. I craved cold weather. Since coming back here, I look forward to the changing seasons.

Fantastic for kite flying too, they have tandem and adapted kite buggying, you'll be whizzing down the beach.

http://www.mobiusonline.co.uk/kitesc...isability.html