Thread: Broken iPhone - replace with iPhone 7 or wait . .. .

Broken iPhone - replace with iPhone 7 or wait . .. .

After nearly three years of constant use and slipping it in my back pocket my iPhone 6 has risen to heaven.

Having sat on my phone one too many times I broke the microphone that allows Siri, artificial intelligence, to talk back.

And Apple won't repair phones that 'wobble' when lying on flat surfaces.

Luckily the insurance has coughed up and I could just get an iPhone 7 today!

But hold on - in a months time Apple will announce the launch of iPhone 8.

Technology seems to change ever 6 months. Is it worth waiting for the next iPhone knowing that I'll probably keep it for the next three years!

My friend has always had iphones and was always sitting on them.

He recently changed to a Samsung S8 and absolutely loves it.
    Says he understands now why most prefer Android.

(And it's too big for his back pocket so he's not going to sit on it. Probably drop it down the toilet, or loose it on the way home from the pub. He's unlucky, or careless, with phones).
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for the facts

Hello LT
    I left a post on your other/original thread, just as things fell apart here, about Smartfonestore.com:

I picked up a 7Plus 256GB there a few weeks ago for £649 (RR. £919), brand new sealed in the box with full Apple guarantee, there were a few B/new models there last time I looked. They do various makes, new and graded, locked and unlocked and they're great to deal with should you need to get one unlocked try doctorSIM.

I can't recommend either of these Companies highly enough, they're both great to deal with, If you wait for an 8 you'll be paying through the nose - for some considerable time to come.

http://www.smartfonestore.com/filter...%20Iphone.aspx

Hi Jard, thanks for the info.

I'm still without a new smartphone even though the insurance company stumped up £600 and credited my bank account.

I'm just going to wait until the new iPhone is launched next month - I know I'll pay a premium but what the hell.

In the meantime I've improvised!

I blew the dust off an old piece of Apple kit - the iPhone 3G which launched in 2008 - 9 years ago! Can you believe that the battery successfully recharged. Originally it was locked to one service supplier O2.

It takes the original sized SIM card that's the size of a small stamp. BUT I've got the phone to work without a SIM card.

I can use the browser which connects to wi-fi hot spots and browse the internet. I can get my emails too via the browser, play music via Youtube and even play sound through a modern Bluetooth speaker.

It's not surprising that technology has moved on by leaps and bounds since this model - no AI, just a single front facing camera that took low res pictures. But still impressive for one of the first touch screen mobiles that revolutionised all future smart phones!

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2008/...New-iPhone-3G/

I've got an eight year old Samsung Wave that I also use like that.
    Locked to Orange and you can't even get an Orange sim card anymore, so took the old card out and just connect to wifi and use the inernet.

As you say limited features from back then, but still makes a good back-up.

PS. you can put whatsapp on a phone without a sim card, so as long as you have a wifi signal you can still make calls from it.
    Of course the person you are ringing must have whatsapp as well.
    There are a few ways to set this up, here's just 2 of them:
    http://www.techbout.com/whatsapp-wit...mber-sim-5365/
    There are other ways to do it using a second mobile and so on, a quick google will find them.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-14-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for the facts

I've now got a working iPhone using a new 02 top up SIMcard for £10. So now I can make very short conversations as I'm billed 5p a minute - not cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    I've now got a working iPhone using a new 02 top up SIMcard for £10. So now I can make very short conversations as I'm billed 5p a minute - not cheap!
    You could also use Giff Gaff or Tesco Mobile with that as well LT.

NB: Have a look at the deals @Uswitch https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/comp...PqeBoCtW_w_wcB
    Last edited by Jard; 08-16-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Recently took a 12 month contract with Virgin Media. 2500 minutes, unlimited texts & 2gb data for £5 per month. Data rollover too.
    Call me Mike.