Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does Benefit Money have to be spent on?

What does Benefit Money have to be spent on?

Hello,

I recieve Contribution Based ESA and my mother said because you live with us at home and you if you dont pay rent or utilities they can stop your ESA Money if they know this. Is that true?

No.

You are getting contribution based ESA, which means that it is paid because you have paid enough stamps while you were working. It is your benefit - nothing to do with anyone else at all.
    But if your Mum is on benefits herself she might get some of her benefit reduced because you are living there. For example if she gets Housing Benefit that will be reduced (by about 7.50 a week - but that might have increased now.) That is done because the DWP make an allowance for what they think you should be contributing to the household yourself - and to be quite fair really you should be thinking about contributing a bit?
    But no - they can't stop your ESA if you don't contribute. You could ask your Mum if she is losing out at all on her benefits by having you there, and try to reach an agreement with her. But you would both need to be open about how much you get, how much you all need, and agree on what is fair.

Thanks for that.

My parents own their property and morgage is paid off. I spend all my ESA a week on medical needs I have and dont even have anything left over after that and buying food and personal needs.

WOuld it also be the case if I was recieving ESA income based or JSA Income Based? that I wouldnt have to pay my parents towards the rent and utilities in order to get ESA Income Based or JSA Income based?

But by living withyour parents would you not help with the costs of electric and so on ?
    just asking because my son receives Esa and he pays me 60 per 2 weeks .

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by lastfirst View Post
    Thanks for that.

My parents own their property and morgage is paid off. I spend all my ESA a week on medical needs I have and dont even have anything left over after that and buying food and personal needs.

WOuld it also be the case if I was recieving ESA income based or JSA Income Based? that I wouldnt have to pay my parents towards the rent and utilities in order to get ESA Income Based or JSA Income based?
    your medical needs should not some of them be met by the NHS ? allowing you to have some money to help your parents support you ?

I have never heard of anyone needing to spend every last penny on medical needs have you not thought of asking a charity for help ?

Well I have severe IBS and am lactose intolerant and I have to buy specific foods which cost a fortune, over twice as much as things from a regular supermarket, also as well as other disabilities and medical conditions I have I can not take most of the tablets from the Drs to treat them as I have severe allergic reactions to almost all of them so have to buy all my own medicine from herbal sources and homeopathy, which are very expensive so by the time thats all done, I have nothing left over for anything else, not to even do anything I would like to enjoy in life
    Last edited by lastfirst; 05-12-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Are you claiming DLA. Not sure of this one, someone will advise, but at ome time if you paid your parents rent you could claim this as Housing Benefit. Do you need care? if so & you get DLA you could get Carers Allowance too.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

No, I dont get DLA, I did apply but was rejected. My care worker has said I would be entilited to it so have got the CAB helping me with that. Well my parents have to care for me in terms general things that need to be done.

As for the food side of things i friend of mine has the same problem and gets a lot of stuff cheaper from b&m bargains .

B&m bargains I have been and there sell some lactose free and dairy free, gutten free, yeast free, wheat free, egg free, organic foods, not all that many. I buy as many things as I can find from a regular supermarket that are all those things, but they are still 2,3 4 times as much as regular things, then the things I can not buy from a regular supermarket I will goto Holland and Barrets for the rest. I buy Truble is with these foods they are sooooo much more expensive. FOr instance, a Gutten free loaf of bread is 3.99, a regular supermarks own loaf of bread is like fourty pence or something. Thats like 5 times more expensive and its similar with almost everything. Alternativly buy regular things and become even more ill or dont eat and starve! By the time I have bought my weekly shopping and my medicine theres nothing left at all. NOthing for anything else.