Thread: Adaptations transfer

Adaptations transfer

Currently have a Kuga on Motablity. Motability paid for an electric hoist to be fitted to load and unload my wheelchair.

Anyone have experience of transferring this adaptation to subsequent vehicles? Do I pay for the removal before handing back and pay for it being installed in the new vehicle? If so any idea how much should I budget?

Thanks. I'll ring motability

Quote Originally Posted by Silverknight View Post
    Currently have a Kuga on Motablity. Motability paid for an electric hoist to be fitted to load and unload my wheelchair.

Anyone have experience of transferring this adaptation to subsequent vehicles? Do I pay for the removal before handing back and pay for it being installed in the new vehicle? If so any idea how much should I budget?
    I had an Autochair hoist fitted in my privately owned car. It cost about £1,300. I asked if in the future could I transfer the hoist to another car. They said yes if it was under two years old. They would remove the hoist but leave the 'A' frame as each vehicle needs a new 'A' frame to hold the hoist.

If you want a new hoist putting in a car you plan to lease from Motability they will subsidise the cost of the adaptation so you'll only need to pay a few hundred at most.

I'd leave the hoist in and let the garage remove it. It's not worth anything as anyone you gave it too would need to pay £500 to the hoist company to fit it in their car.

Thanks Lighttouch. I did contact Motability. It's a bit of a postcode lottery in terms of dealerships. However if my circumstances are the same at the time of change then motability will grant up to 100 % of the cost - for example if I choose another Kuga from the same dealership.