Thread: Bedroom tax and universal credit

Bedroom tax and universal credit

Hi Just a quick question re bedroom tax and private housing as a future universal claimant, if one takes a 3 bedroom house were the rent is lower than the Local Housing Allowance Rates, eg the 3 bed house is 460 and the housing allowance for to 2 bed room is 479.79 a month and the entitlement is for a 2 bedroom because we are a couple and our son lives with us, would one still deducted the tax for the extra bedroom? or would they pay the amount because it is cheaper then they would have to pay if we find a 2 bedroom house?

thanks

'Bedroom Tax' only applies to social housing, it does not apply to a private rental.

In a private rental the LHA sets the limit that you can be paid in Housing Benefit.
    You can get up to the LHA regardless of how many 'empty' bedrooms you have.

In a private rental LHA pays your Housing Benefit but only up to the limit for your household.
    It's your household that counts with LHA not the number of bedrooms.

LHA does not apply to social rentals, you get paid the full rent less any penalty for 'empty' bedrooms.
    That is what the 'bedroom tax' refers to.

I'm not exactly sure at the moment of how private rentals work with UC because it's overseen by the DWP and not the local authority (another thing to look into) but as said above the so called 'bedroom tax' only applies to social rentals not private.
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-13-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

Account deleted
    hi nuke , im not sure if under UC they are getting crafty , they may use the LHA as a ceiling and install the bedroom tax ..
    there is a lot of little things hidden in the small print of this UC that they dont highlight , they just say UC is a better way of paying claiments but dont mention the things that might not be as good under UC..
    also if ESA is now under UC (or soon to be) whos to say the assessment wont be toughend up? also jard was saying they may assess some claiments and decide there unfixable and not ask to see them again (sounds good) BUT be much tougher on those they deem to have some sort of chance of later employment.

Thanks for that,I suffer from Crohn's disease and ankylosing spondylitis amongst other related problems, my wife suffers from mental health problems including Anthropophobia (fear of people) as she has been through a lot and often been betrayed, so now if any body pushes her she will snap and attack verbally telling people to leave her alone and then get panic attacks, i got to do all the talking and dealing with people.So if universal credit people get tough, that want be good, she will go to interview but not talk etc. so no she sadly can not work and neither can i, she even stopped eating for a while and she is diabetic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by paul44 View Post
    hi nuke , im not sure if under UC they are getting crafty
    Like I've said before be careful when reading anything about UC online.

There is lots of rumour, missinformation, missunderstanding, and outright scaremongering crap being posted in some places.

When you read something about UC then think about if it sounds right, and double check it.

Preferably check it with sites that you know and trust to be correct - because rumours go viral faster than the truth does.

(Acknowledgement to the late Terry Prattchet - "A lie can run around the world before the truth can get it's boots on.")
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-13-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.