Thread: E-mail Complaint address

E-mail Complaint address

Occasionally someone asks if it is possible to email a complaint to the DWP.

There is no email address given on the government 'How to complain' website.

However I have done some searching and below are valid email addresses for escalating complaints to the DWP.

You can use these to make an email complaint about-
    ESA, JSA, Universal Credit, Income Support, Incapacity Benefit, Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

You should use 'normal' complaint channels (ie. telephone the DWP) before resorting to one of these complaints teams.

When sending an email complaint the email header should just say "Formal Complaint" and nothing else.
    Then put just what you are complaining about in the first line of the message.
    See my example at post #2.

These are the regional Complaint Resolution Teams (CRTs):

SEG.OPERATIONSCORRESPONDENCETEAM1@DWP.GSI.GOV.UK – Southern England CRT (covering Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Hampshire, Dorset, Wiltshire, Sussex)

NORTHWEST.COMPLAINTSRESOLUTIONTEAM1@DWP.GSI.GOV.UK – North West CRT (covering Manchester, Liverpool, Cumbria and the lakes, Cheshire, Wirral)

SCOTLAND.COMPLAINTSRESOLUTIONTEAM1@DWP.GSI.GOV.UK – Scotland CRT

WALES.COMPLAINTSRESOLUTIONTEAM@DWP.GSI.GOV.UK – Wales CRT

CENTRALENGLAND.COMPLAINTSRESOLUTIONT...P.GSI.GO V.UK – Central CRT (East Anglia, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Rutland, Lincolnshire, Birmingham, Warwickshire, Shropshire, Northamptonshire)

NEE.CRTNORTH@DWP.GSI.GOV.UK – North East CRT (North) – (covering Durham, Tyne & Wear, Teesside, Northumbria)

NEE.CRTSOUTH@DWP.GSI.GOV.UK – North East CRT (South) – (covering Yorkshire & Humberside)

LHC.CRTTEAM1@DWP.GSI.GOV.UK – London and Home Counties CRT (covering Kent, Essex, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Middlesex, Surrey, Berkshire)

On receipt of DWP’s response, if you remain unhappy or need further clarification you can escalate your complaint to stage 2, through:

Correspondence@dwp.gsi.gov.uk – a single address covering the whole of operations. This is effectively the Director General’s support staff you’re writing to.

DWP have given a commitment to reply to emailed complaints within 15 working days. (So including weekends allow 21 days for a reply).

This one appears to be a general Customer Support address for any DWP related matter:
    ccscustomerfeedback.handlingteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

Other email addresses for complaints that I have found:

Social Fund
    socialfund.complaintresolutionteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

Personal Independence Payments
    bootledbc.qualityteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
    yorkshiredbc.pip@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

Pensions Service/Disability Living Allowance/Carers Allowance
    correspondence@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

Maximus and Atos

Maximus email address: customer-relations@chdauk.co.uk

Atos email address: PIP-customerservice@atos.net
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-13-2017 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Cleaned up a scrappy post.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

You may have seen in another thread that the DWP have made an error and not given me any NI credits for the last six years.

After spending ages today on hold on the phone (and using up all my PAYG credit) I decided that as this is not an urgent matter I would try using the email address above.

I used the central team address rather than my regional one.

EDIT-
    You can use this as a template to make a complaint yourself if this has also happened to you.
    It worked as you can see in my next post.
    Send it to your regional complaints centre as listed above, it will only get redirected to them anyway if you send it to the central address.

{email header}- Formal Complaint.

{email text}-
    Re: National Insurance credits not automatically awarded in respect of ESA claim.

{Your Name and address.}
    {Your Date of birth.}
    {Your NI Number.}

Dear DWP,

I have today recieved a statement of My National Insurance contributions record from HMRC.

This shows that no payments or credits have been made since the tax year {whatever the last year was on your NI statement that has full payments/credits

I have been a recipient of Employment Support Allowance since {date you claimed ESA}, and as such Class 1 NI credits should have been added to my contribution record for the whole period since then.

Please confirm that this error will be corrected, the missing credits added to my NI record, and further credits added for as long as my ESA award continues.

Please confirm receipt of this email.

Regards

{Your Name}
    {Your email address}
    Just for clarity that {date you claimed ESA} is the date that you put on your ESA application form, (not the award date).
    If you don't have the exact date then the month and year, or just the year, should be enough.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-15-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Success.

Today I got a reply to my complaint email. (17 days after sending).

It had been passed from the central email address I had used to the North West regional complaints team, who investigated and replied.

Here is their reply-
    Good Morning

I am writing in response to your email dated 26 September 2017 regarding National Insurance Credits, which were not showing on your records form 2011.

I have been assigned to respond in my capacity as complaints resolution manager on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Complaint Resolution Team, North West England.
    Since receiving your email, we have been conducting enquiries with the relevant departments in order to ascertain the position. Those enquiries are complete and I can now provide you with the following information.

I am unable to confirm why our record system was not updated at the earliest convenience, however, our ESA team has now updated the National Insurance Recording System with your NI credits from 2011.

The DWP is committed to providing customers with the best standard of service at all times, however, the Department delayed in updating your records. Please accept my sincere apologies for this delay.

If you remain dissatisfied with the way your complaint has been handled you can write to Andrew Rhodes, Director General, Operations, at PO Box 50101, London, SW1P 2WU within six months of the date at the top of this letter. He will then arrange a response from an appropriate officer within the Department. Alternatively, you can telephone our Correspondence Team on 01253 331418 / 01253 337591 or email Correspondence@dwp.gsi.gov.uk. The team will register your complaint and arrange for a response from the appropriate team. The telephone lines are open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Regards
    Tracey Mitchell

Tracey Mitchell l Complaints Resolution Manager | North West Region | Department for Work and Pensions | Kinglake House | Shenstone Street | Liverpool | L7 3PF | 01928 853710|
    So that shows that the email addresses for complaints are valid and do get a response.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-13-2017 at 03:46 AM.

Thats great. They could do with learning plain english
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

Quote Originally Posted by David69 View Post
    They could do with learning plain english
    I particularly laughed at:
    "I am unable to confirm why our record system was not updated at the earliest convenience"

Who's "convienence" would that be then?
    And they should not have had to be "updated", they should have been credited correctly from the start.

So the translation is- "We have no explanation for why we did not do our job correctly in the first place".
    Of course that would be admitting in plain language they make mistakes, and they don't like doing that.

"we have been conducting enquiries with the relevant departments in order to ascertain the position."
    Translation - "We've been asking what happened".

I'm guessing that Tracy is a graduate of the DWPs "how to pretend you're a lawyer" course, there seems to be a lot of them - all trainee Mrs Malaprops.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-13-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Hey thanks Nukecad. Going to fire them an email off as nothing's been done with 3 phone calls.