Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PIP Assessment next week!

PIP Assessment next week!

Hi.

I'm new to this Forum, so Hi everyone .

So next week I have my PIP assessment, which if I'm being totally honest, I'm surprised I have to attend one. I have been claiming DLA middle + Motability high since I was legally allowed too, which in 1980's was 3 Years told as I have had my disability since I was 4 weeks old. I have/had it set to indefinitely. With my application, I sent a lot of documentation, including a letter written by one of my Orthopedic consultants dated 2 days prior to sending my form off to confirmed everything, it's a bit of an insult. Anyways that's just a background and a little rant.

With regards to this assessment.. what am I to expect? I've read a lot of posts on this forum and also others, but most have been about mental health. My assessment is with Capita. They are making me travel 40 miles way to attend this appointment, when I know there is centre 10 mins away. I called them and was told there are no slots.. sorry that's not my problem?

As you can probably tell.. I'm a little annoyed about the whole situation. How did you guys get on with the F2F assessment?

Thank you and sorry for the rants lol

Welcome.

PIP and DLA are quite different benefits/have different criteria and many people have found that being awarded DLA is no guarantee of being awarded PIP. This is particularly relevant if you are currently receiving high rate mobility for DLA. There is no guarantee that you would receive enhanced mobility with PIP.

Not trying to be scaremongering but many people think that transferring to PIP will give them the same award as their DLA one.

Of course, each case is different. It could be that you meet the requirements for the enhanced rate of PIP.

Here is the link for Capita which contains a lot of information. Just click on the banners at the top. I see that all their centres have disabled access, for instance.

http://www.capita-pip.co.uk/en/what-is-pip.html

Is there a problem with you getting to the assessment centre? Do you get to the doctors or do they visit you?

Quote Originally Posted by pmlindyloo View Post
    Welcome.

PIP and DLA are quite different benefits/have different criteria and many people have found that being awarded DLA is no guarantee of being awarded PIP. This is particularly relevant if you are currently receiving high rate mobility for DLA. There is no guarantee that you would receive enhanced mobility with PIP.

Not trying to be scaremongering but many people think that transferring to PIP will give them the same award as their DLA one.

Of course, each case is different. It could be that you meet the requirements for the enhanced rate of PIP.

Here is the link for Capita which contains a lot of information. Just click on the banners at the top. I see that all their centres have disabled access, for instance.

http://www.capita-pip.co.uk/en/what-is-pip.html

Is there a problem with you getting to the assessment centre? Do you get to the doctors or do they visit you?
    There is no problem getting there.. I can get my other half to drive as its further than I can currently manage. The people who carry out the F2F, are they as qualified as my consultants which have provided evidence and backing me up? This is what I don't understand? I have nothing to hide or worry about as I'm going into this assessment as me. I know someone who received the motability part of PIP... and there is nothing wrong with there mobility.. they didn't even need a F2F:confused I think this is what is making me annoyed about the whole thing. Just have to see how it goes huh.

Since sending my form in, I have changed medication to something a lot stronger as the pain I get sitting, standing & walking is unbearable. Can this be updated on my application? Also what am I expecting to have to do in this F2F assessment?

Thank you for your help and information you provided

Biscuitgazer
    I would like to add that it seems to be the case that invisible disabilities such as mental health problems are the worst for getting PIP as the assessments often do not pick them up. Good luck with your assessment.

The link below is for the PIP assessment guidance manual. A long read but does cover an awful lot of questions.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment-guide.pdf

Hello DarthSidious

As it has already been said PIP is completely different to DLA and in my opinion (and I know I'm not alone in thinking this) a complete lottery.

As you yourself said you know of someone who receives PIP mobility who didn't even need an assessment.

It seems to me, PIP favours some conditions over others, as it is the strict descriptors that score you the points which qualify you for PIP.
    Sadly my disability and health problems are poorly served by PIP so I needed to attend a tribunal just to receive PIP standard care.

Have you tried scoring yourself against the descriptors?

Again sadly the assessors will not be as highly trained as your Consultants, they may be a Paramedic, or a mental health nurse etc. However the assessment providers say they have all undergone training (of a couple of weeks I believe) to train as disability assessors.

My advice, as you have already said, go there, be yourself, tell them how life is for you when you attempt all the descriptors and how you do or don't manage.

After the assessment, wait a couple of days then phone up and ask for a copy of the assessors report.

Good luck.

Really appreciate all the help and replies .

As things have changed like medication and also having to use a pill box thing now so i know I've taken my pain meds without taking too many... how do I go about giving this information as it is a change, a big one with regards to medication.

Take an upto date list of medication with you if your meds have changed. To be fair if the only difference is that you use a dosette box,that is only worth 1 point and makes little difference as there is only one other uneven points desciptor
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

Quote Originally Posted by David69 View Post
    Take an upto date list of medication with you if your meds have changed. To be fair if the only difference is that you use a dosette box,that is only worth 1 point and makes little difference as there is only one other uneven points desciptor
    Ahh ok. I will call my GP and ask for a list of my medication. If you dont mind me asking... how do you know its worth 1 point?
    Thanks

The points scoring for each descriptor is readily available

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/per...-points-system
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.