Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a word of reassurance

Just a word of reassurance

It seems all you hear on here is the bad things that happen , nobody says anything good about DLA / Pip. Well Ive been getting DLA for years without any problem and the change over to PIP went very smoothly without any hiccups, so there is some decent news out there.

Thank you for that Stuey. Of course you are right, generally we only hear of the problems on the forums. I am sure that the majority of claims are dealt with fairly and professionaly. I have been involved with six PIP claims in the last year and all were straight forward with professional assessors who di their job with compassion.
    I also very recently had cause to phone the DWP regarding a complex carers claim, The staff I spoke to were pleasant and helpfull, ringing me back when they said and taking the time to sort out my claim.
    Don't let the few rogue assessors tar the rest with their bad ways. But anyone who does have a numpty assessor should, if they have the energy left, make a report about their treatment and hopefully these bad apples will get sorted out.
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

The trouble with PIP feedback from forums is you really don't know the individuals case details. Just edited highlights. I know I read many tiraids in facebook PIP groups in particular thinking "sounds like you got a fair outcome". No doubt karma will bite me on the ass when my turn to transfer from DLA comes.

I agree with you both very strongly, Silverknight and David...rogue assessors are a rarity and some of the complaints I've seen on here have made me think it was complaining about a fair award. I also think that even if the award seems fair to me and the DWP both, it's very good that the applicant has recourse to the law if they see it differently.

I recently re-read the assessment guide from p77 forwards, that is the meat bit for applicants, they indicate to me that my assessor had very good cause to give me low points, she was following her guidelines! My lingering annoyance with her dissolved as soon as I realised that. I could have appealed and argued it in court and probably have won, but that wasn't the assessor's fault.

Account deleted
    yes the lady that assessed me was 100% genuine , its mps constantly changing the rules that causes hardship..
    also not forgetting some people havnt got the capability to defend themselves or even use a computer to access a site like this..
    some people with complex MH issues come over as being aggressive (this is part of there illness) and they are turned away with NO safety net , often sleeping rough and described as "druggies" when there not..
    and now its all going online with sometimes long waits to see a CAB advisor these poor people are virtually "locked out" of the system.

I agree, StueyR - we tend to only post about the bad news, not the good news!

However, I have to say that for me the process of moving from DLA to PIP has been a very negative experience - having to focus on what I can't do, and fretting about remembering to mention things either on my form or at the interview. It seems like I have to prove that I'm disabled, whereas for all my life I have had to prove that I am able to cope - I have had to prove that I was good enough to do that particular job, or prove that I'd be able to take out a mortgage and pay it back, etc. The current focus on my disability seems to be taking over my life - it's affecting me physically... thinking I'd better not walk too far in case someone sees me (like a lot of people here, I have good days as well as bad days - and for the purposes of the PIP claim I focussed on my bad days). It's just so depressing! And the thought of having to go through it all again in a few years....

No body searches for advice when everything goes right, I bet most people are here because they got rejected and searched for help. Hence why we really only hear bad things. Once people are here, you then over time get a few good reports. I came here as I got 0 points on ESA, with advice on here I went and claimed JSA to tide me over the MR and Tribunal period where I won and put in support group. I'm now going through DLA to PIP change, awaiting letter in post to see if I have been awarded anything. Could be promising if you read my topic on Strange Call from DWP.

Quote Originally Posted by paul44 View Post
    yes the lady that assessed me was 100% genuine , its mps constantly changing the rules that causes hardship..
    also not forgetting some people havnt got the capability to defend themselves or even use a computer to access a site like this..
    some people with complex MH issues come over as being aggressive (this is part of there illness) and they are turned away with NO safety net , often sleeping rough and described as "druggies" when there not..
    and now its all going online with sometimes long waits to see a CAB advisor these poor people are virtually "locked out" of the system.
    Woah, talk about scaremongering! People who are denied esa aren't turned away with no safety net and left to live on the street; they are given the opportunity to claim JSA and get housing benefit through that benefit. Who describes them as druggies? I really don't understand this post. It seems to me going by a lot of your posts that you have come here just to scare people and are regularly giving out misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by cookmysock View Post
    Woah, talk about scaremongering! People who are denied esa aren't turned away with no safety net and left to live on the street; they are given the opportunity to claim JSA and get housing benefit through that benefit. Who describes them as druggies? I really don't understand this post. It seems to me going by a lot of your posts that you have come here just to scare people and are regularly giving out misinformation.
    Who describes them as druggies? Well bloody C4 and the Sun for one! Yes encouraged to claim JSA and then pressured to apply for jobs (even they have no hope of getting or keeping one cuz of health issues. I know plenty folks on JSA have been sanctioned and had to resort to food banks. Thats not scaremongering, that is reality.

I've had no problems claiming benefits in the past. I have always been awarded support group without a medical but my circumstances are better than most because I have a Social Worker from the LD department fill in the forms. I think because a professional fills it in they take his word and aren't dismissive and I receive community care support so I and tick the box I need support to cater for my daily needs. I think if somebody is on their own or get support from their family the DWP looks at it as they could be exaggerating their conditions so they are more sceptical of that person. Where if you have social services support they don't.