Thread: Scooter on Motability Scheme?

Scooter on Motability Scheme?

Just out of curiosity I would like to know if you got a scooter on the scheme does it have to go back after 3 years like cars or is it yours to keep after that time?

I have just bought a new scooter from a dealer that is listed on Motability as a down payment of £100 and a weekly amount of £24.95.
    Working out the maths, in 12 months on Motability I would have paid the same amount as I have bought it for cash. Times that by 3 and there is a huge profit in the making especially as the scooter may be taken back.

It's as you said; Motability is a business after all.

The only sensible way to buy mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs is to buy them for cash secondhand.

I use both and I bought them by borrowing money from a zero interest credit card (for the first year) and paying it back with my PIP.

I paid £1500.00 for a TGA Breeze 4 mobility scooter that was just over a year old and had only done just over 500 miles. It cost the original purchaser over £5,000.00.

As I couldn't use that on buses or take it indoors I bought a Puma 40 powerchair (with lift and tilt) for £1800.00 - it was less than six months old and had done only 182 miles. It cost the original purchaser just short of £8,000.00.

Both were in immaculate condition and are now fully paid for. The credit card account is now closed.

The best bit of course is that I now have my full PIP and I'm now saving a little money regularly for when they break down or need any work doing to them like tyres, batteries etc.
    Last edited by Sky; 08-28-2017 at 01:52 PM.

To be honest I did buy my first scooter 2nd hand and I was ripped off. I was newly disabled and very naïve Learnt my lesson and will only buy new now.
    Save my PIP up until I have enough for what I want and new batteries servicing etc.
    This new scooter was a necessary purchase as mine is 8 years old and on it's last legs. My old one was a brand new discontinued model that I bought from a dealer for £500, plus the obvious upkeep. Has been used daily and gone through mud and water not to mention being out in heavy rain. As well as me going out and about I use it to walk our dog down bridle paths. I don't think it owes me anything.

Yes, it's a sad fact that far too few people that sell them know what they're talking about and are only interested in profit margins and not selling you what you actually need.

Like you, I was ripped off by a dealer on my first scooter, but I learned from it and swore it would never happen again.

In addition, 90% of the stuff that's out there really is unfit for purpose - there is just so much junk and it so incredibly overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    Yes, it's a sad fact that far too few people that sell them know what they're talking about and are only interested in profit margins and not selling you what you actually need.

Like you, I was ripped off by a dealer on my first scooter, but I learned from it and swore it would never happen again.

In addition, 90% of the stuff that's out there really is unfit for purpose - there is just so much junk and it so incredibly overpriced.
    Completely agree with you. So many have jumped on the bandwagon to make pots of money out of those least able to afford it.

3 ways I would never contemplate when getting a mobility scooter:
    1: Motability.............Why pay 3 times what you need to?
    2: New, from anywhere................same as cars, value drops like a stone as soon as you buy it.
    3: From a dealer................Not such a good reputation..........Their obligation is towards making profits, not your welfare or finances.

So where would I buy from?
    First one was from Ebay....TGA Buddy............very cheap, great condition, used it a lot and after a year or so was offered more than I paid for it............So off it went.
    So on to the second...........Shoprider Sovereign............From Preloved............superb condition, Couple emigrating and so had to sell. They bought it from new and only did 2 miles a week on it..............Fantastic low mileage and cheap........Ran for 2 years with just one repair that cost £50....the sold for same price...Buyer very happy with it, still see it going about.
    The third and current one...Pro-rider Roadking.... Via Gumtree...........Lady owner, bought it new then decided she wanted a small folding scooter so the Pro-rider was not used, just in garage and charged once a month.Impeccable condition, and again, cheap.
    Just the way I do things, you of course do what you like and are able to afford and are happy with...........

I'm with you Stree, that's the only way to do it and I never lost money on any of the ones I bought.

One in fact, I paid £200.00 for and then p/xd it for £1200.00 to a 'wannabe' dealer on eBay against the Puma 40 I'm now using. So it really only cost me £800.00 instead of the £1800.00 price tag he was after.

With the amount of shifting and chopping and changing I did for about a year, I felt like the Arthur Daley of the mobility market. It taught me a lot, now I know what's good and bad and what price to pay.

My new one, which I haven't got yet, waiting for engineer delivery which was thrown in, I did buy from a large dealer. I went to a large showroom that had lots on show. I was told to try any I wanted, even to taking them outside because I knew exactly what I wanted. I wasn't pushed at all which is refreshing, even told to go home and think about it.
    That is not usual, most are there for a quick sale and huge profit.

The reason I chose to go to this place was the range of scooters on show and the reviews that all said you weren't pushed at all. In fact this company has several showrooms round the country and not one place has bad reviews, all say there is no pushing to buy. Looks as if that is company policy which makes a refreshing change.

There are too many small cowboy firms selling disabled goods around who do nothing but push for a sale and a huge profit. I did price the same scooter up locally and was quoted a massive £900 more than what I have paid. Rob dogs or what?

Another thing to do is go to Naidex or Mobility Roadshow or similar. LOTS of companies display and yeah, they are drumming up interest but gives you a look at the rabbit, so to speak. See whats out there, the prices and try a few. Costs: well there is always the option of 2nd hand and possibilty of getting a grant.

Did get my boot scooter from the Mobility Roadshow when it was in my area. Got a good deal on that as it was towards closing time on the last day.
    We did do a hundred mile round trip to look at scooters this time. Local dealers have so few in stock and are so pushy.