Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple iPhone 8 to be unveiled on 12 Sept '17

Apple iPhone 8 to be unveiled on 12 Sept '17

Well, Apple will be celebrating a tenth anniversary smartphone on the 12 September

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2017/

Biscuitgazer
    I've just invested in a new Cubot Z100 Pro, it cost me nearly 70 quid.

Sounds like a bargain - I've never heard of it before. Looks like a half decent back camera too.

It has two SIM card slots which is a cool idea. You could combine a work and home phone in one - no need to carry two phones - I bet Apple don't do that as they'd lose sales!

Just a handful of days to go before the big announcement!

Biscuitgazer
    I'm happy with it but it may not last. It will certainly be less annoying than my Moto E 2nd generation 4g LTE was. That was a deeply flawed phone, even for a budget phone.

I have one of those cheap dual sim smart phones and it works a treat. Mine is a Swees, it cost me £35. Hubby has had a Cubot for the past 4 years and it is still going strong.
    To my way of thinking there is no point in paying a small fortune for a phone

Biscuitgazer
    I chose Cubot because it looked like a company that wanted to grow. I'd seen reviews of cheap phones saying they are full of malware and give your bank details to their friends in China etc. so I was nervous about the cubots, sweeses, oukitels etc. of the world. I've not seen malware, or been troubled with bloatware either, on my phone.

Neither have I but then again only use it for calls, texts and WhatsApp when I am away. Wouldn't dream of doing anything personal on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuitgazer View Post
    I chose Cubot because it looked like a company that wanted to grow. I'd seen reviews of cheap phones saying they are full of malware and give your bank details to their friends in China etc. so I was nervous about the cubots, sweeses, oukitels etc. of the world. I've not seen malware, or been troubled with bloatware either, on my phone.
    If you are worried about Malware on your phone then get 'Malwarebytes for Android' from the playstore.
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/mobile/

The free version will scan your phone for nasties and remove them, and then real time protection will keep them away.
    You can run a scan anytime you like to check again.
    The first scan after installing takes a while, but further scans after that take seconds.

You get a one month trial of premium that gets a few extra features, after that it reverts to Free+ without the extras.
    (Still scans, still has real time protection).

If you want the premium extras then it's $12 (US dollars) a year.

Unfortunately there is not a version for iPhones or iPads at the moment.

There are versions for Windows (includes Win10 phones) and Mac OSX if you want to protect your computer as well.
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/products/

Note that Malware bytes is not a traditional anti-virus.
    It works in a different way and stops most nasties even getting to your system in the first place.
    It can be used on its own as an alternative to an AV and will protect you just as well as an AV does.
    On a computer it plays nicely with traditional AV's and most users use it alongside a traditional AV to give extra protection.

PS. I have no connection to Malwarebytes, but it's one of the first things I put on a new PC or phone.
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-08-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

Biscuitgazer
    Tx nukecad! I installed and ran malware bytes and it discovered a bad app that came with my phone which I can't get rid of without rooting the phone so I've disabled it - that should work until one day when I turn the phone off. Cheap Chinese phone with malicious software pre-installed. Well, actually, I am informed by the interweb that fota updater is sometimes not actually malware. Malwarebytes' interface did eventually tell me to disable it and they will whitelist it. That was confusing.

Yes it doesn't just find Malware, it will also find PUP's and PUM's. (Potentially Unwanted Programmes and Potentialy Unwanted Modifications).

These are things that are not realy needed, usually put there by the manufacturer or sneakily added when you download something else.
    They are often advertising pop-ups, or tracking your location and/or activity so as to target ads at you.
    Most people would not want these so they are flagged for removal or disabling.

While FOTA is not in itself malware, and does have a genuine use, it is a security risk as it can allow someone to modify and take over your phones operating system.
    http://www.lg.com/uk/support/fota
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.