Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: National Insurance Credits

National Insurance Credits

I am on ESA, been on it since medically retired 2009/10.
    Received notification that I was due a tax rebate. This can now all be done online. Whilst on Gov.UK I decided to look up my insurance contributions. It gives you a list of when you first started paying and tells you if you have paid sufficient NI. All fine till I get to the year 2009, from then to 2017 it's says no contributions paid. Rang the pensions people and was informed that it looked like the credits hadn't been paid. I do have 38 full years but told that if I was to get my credits paid from 2016 (new pension rules came in) to 2020 I would receive another £6.59 per week raising pension to £157.00. I rang the DWP. To be honest I don't think she quite understood what I was saying. Was convinced it wouldn't show credits on the list I was looking at!! Said she would raise an enquiry to someone (not sure who) but suggested I called HRMC.
    Called HMRC who seemed much more knowledgeable. Saw on their screen that they had been notified that I was on ESA in 2009 but no credits had been paid from then up to 2016 and also in 2016 I had come off ESA!!
    What a pickle. Was told to ring DWP to give them this news and if no joy to go back to HRMC to raise some sort of complaint and get them to look into it.
    Tried ringing from 5.15 to 6.0 this afternoon, couldn't get through.
    Sorry about long post but what I wanted to know was that I assumed NI credits would be paid until I reached pension age, in my case Feb 2021, I will be 66 then - am I right?

Someone has messed up, either the DWP or HMRC. You should automatically get class 1 NI credits for anytime you are on ESA.
    https://www.gov.uk/national-insuranc...ts/eligibility

(TBH I am not sure just how this works. Do the DWP actually pay HMRC? or do HMRC just give a credit? I'll have to see if I can find out, not that it's important here).

I would put your concern/complaint in writing, asking for a full explanation of just what has gone wrong.

The people on the DWP phones have limited training and have no clue once things stray out of simple questions, putting things in writing may be slower but will get passed to the correct person who can deal with it.

I would send the same letter to both the DWP and HMRC, attack the problem from both sides.

This may be of some help, it gives the address, and phone number, to contact at HMRC
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...your-benefits/
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-07-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I know how you feel.

I took medical early retirement in 2011 aged 54. I worked out that I wasn't eligible for any form of ESA so didn't apply for it.

I applied for a State Pension forecast which stated that I had worked for 38 years but wouldn't be entitled to a full State Pension even though that only requires you to have worked for 35 years to qualify!

The DWP said I was 4 years short. This came about because I opted out of SERPS for some years and some of my NI contributions went towards a private pension I'd taken out.

I could either buy the years back or apply for ESA who would credit me with the missing 4 years as I no longer work.

As I only wanted NI Credits they never asked me to a f2f but just awarded a decision in my favour for 3 years.

The whole process is very confusing and staff aren't quite up to speed with cases that are different than the norm.

I'm sorted out now - good luck!
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 09-07-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Light touch that answers one of my questions!! I too opted out of serps so that's what the forecast and pension lady meant, I am four years short despite having 38 fully paid yrs and these four years can be made up by making sure ESA sort out my credits for 2016 to 2020. Thank you Nukecad, shall definitely leave a paper trail. Thank goodness I checked. May not still have the fight in me four years down the line.

You actually prompted me to check my NI record, sent in my request last night.

For anyone else wanting to do this it's simpler than it first looks.

Go to this webpage, and ignore the big green 'Start Now' button. (You need a Government Gateway account to do it that way).
    https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record

Instead scroll down the page to where it says 'Other ways to apply' and click on the 'Online' link.
    This brings up a fairly simple form to fill in and submit.
    They will send an email by reply telling you that they have received it, will check and process your request, and will send a statement by post.

I'll be checking my state pension as well when I get round to it.
    https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
    Again ignore the green 'Start Now' button, you need to have a Government Gateway account (or a GOV.UK Verify account).
    But again there is an alternative, in this case a paper form that you can fill in on screen and print. (or print and use a pen).
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-08-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Just had a call from DWP, yes i was correct, there was an error on my account. Glad i ignored what earlier lady had said to me that NI credits didnt show, only ones that i had worked for!
    He said to look again on site in 24 hours and it should be updated. He also said that this problem unfortunately occurs many many times.
    Whilst i was on the line i thought i would bite the bullet and ask about reassessment, on ESA Support Group. He said i was last reassessed in 2012 on paper and i was down for the next one in Oct 2019, 18 mths from pension then!!
    As Nukecad said, would be a good idea to check NI contributions, they can get it wrong.

Good to hear it is getting sorted for you. Of course they have to- it's the law.

Also nice to know when your next reassessment is due (mine is flagged to tell Maximus in June next year so I'll expect about December for a f2f at the earliest).

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by anniea View Post
    He also said that this problem unfortunately occurs many many times.
    You're not alone! I discovered this same problem which started at the very time I was transferred from IB to ESA. After writing to HMRC, and being redirected to DWP/JCP, I sent the letter 3 times to them, with no reply months later. I know they got the last copy of my letter as it was also my change of address notification, which they did action. I'm yet to ring them, but obviously will have to at some point when I can sit in a queue for goodness knows how long.

J4mie I asked for a call back from a supervisor. Someone from a DWP office in Wales called back within the hour, Caerphilly I think . He knew exactly what I was talking about and said unfortunately it happens a lot. I would chases asap.

Well my NI statement arrived today and guess what?

Not a single NI credit has been made by the DWP since I first went onto ESA in 2011.

(Some do show up from when I was on JSA in earlier years).

If it wasn't for this thread I might not have checked for another couple of years.

I strongly suggest that everybody gets their NI statement to check that the DWP have been crediting yours.

It's easy enough to do, just follow the steps I gave in post #5 about 'Other ways to apply'.

So its time to get this NI situation sorted now and then ask for a pension statement once the credits have been corrected.