Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: National Insurance Credits

So glad you checked Nukcad. The DWP gentleman who called admitted that there were many people in the same situation. Anyone checking their credits, please don't be fobbed off by one of the telephone staff, ask for a supervisor to ring you back.

After problems with the phone today, I had a brainwave and decided to try a DWP complaints email address that I found last month.

As they don't give this email on their 'How to make a complaint' webpage it will be interesting to see what happens.
    http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...l=1#post134888
    Last edited by nukecad; 09-26-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

Hi new poster, been reading this thread with interest and wandered if anyone can help me with question.

So here it is.
    Ive worked all my adult life up till a few years ago for the same employer till my disability got to much and they pensioned me off on grounds of i'll health.

I went on esa support group conribution based were i am still, i checked my state pension forecast online and all my national insurance payments/credits show and states i will have maxium state pension if i continue with what is in place for another 5 years which is all good, BUT down the page it says i paid reduced NI because of my pension scheme and my pension shows a COPE amount of £33.49 (contracted out pension equivalant )
    Does this mean that amount will be deducted from my state pension when i retire and if so can this be reduced if my NI credits continue after 5 years.
    I have 16 years till state pension.
    Last edited by markymark; 09-28-2017 at 10:35 AM.

That sounds similar / the same as Lighttouchs' situation with contracting out of SERPS, see post #3.

Maybe he can offer some more information?

Yeah thanks for the reply nukecad, if you dont mind me saying i have read many of your threads/posts and you are a saint amongst men.
    My situation is similar to light touch but for this COPE amount.
    If i continue with my esa for 5 years it confirms i will be entitled to full state pension, a bit down the page on the gateway is a link which says " you paid reduced contribution " and then when i follow that link the imformation about COPE is shown.
    The amount of £33.49 is displayed and im not to sure if this will erode as time goes by.
    Hoping someone can shed some light

Well I do like to help when I can, but I'm not after canonization.

Probably you will be best ringing the pensions advice service, I'm told that unlike the DWP the pensions phone op's are helpful and actually know what they are talking about.

I mentioned in another thread that I got an ESA50 this weekend.

Bit of a surprise because I know my file was marked to send one out in June 2018.
    (I had asked and read it on the screen at my recent WFI).

Of course we all know that dates are not set in stone and they can reassess whenever they feel like it.

So obviously somebody has changed my reassessment date, just after I sent them a complaint because they had not made any NI contribution credits for the last six years.

Seems a bit too much of a coincidence.

PS. Still not had any reply about the NI credits complaint email.
    I know they opened the email the day after I sent it, I got a notification from my email service that it had been opened.

I got a reply to my emailed complaint today. They say they have corrected my NI record.
    http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...938#post132938

And I said back in post #2
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    You should automatically get class 1 NI credits for anytime you are on ESA.

(TBH I am not sure just how this works. Do the DWP actually pay HMRC? or do HMRC just give a credit? I'll have to see if I can find out, .....).
    I now have the answer from a FoI request to HMRC -
    I can confirm that HMRC hold the information you have requested.

When Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) is awarded, DWP notify HMRC annually of the number of Class 1 credits for each customer, normally in late August. The credits are then automatically allocated to each customer’s National Insurance account by HMRC’s National Insurance and PAYE Service (NPS) computer system.

For awards of Employment Support Allowance (ESA), DWP notify HMRC on a daily basis, of Start & End dates of the ESA. The relevant number of Class 1 credits are calculated by HMRC’s NPS system and automatically allocated to each customer’s National Insurance account.

No payments in respect of these credits are made by DWP to HMRC.
    So the DWP are supposed to tell HMRC that you have claimed ESA, HMRC then put NI credits on your record until the DWP tell them your ESA has ended.

Hi OP. I have the same problem exactly. No credits since I was migrated from IB to ESA in 2014. Several phone calls and still nothing's been done. An error obviously but am going to write to them now.