Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad situation

Would SW accept you and the grandchildren moving in with daughter so that you can supervise / monitor but would have more space, whilst they sort out a permanent or long term solution?

Funnily enough the family co ordinator asked if I could do that at the beginning
    I didn't realise then that the situation had gone as far as it has and I said I could not do so as i need to be here for my son who has aspergers and is at college
    He is about to start a pretty course.
    Plus I have recently had major adaptations here to make things easier for me
    The kitchen was altered and I had a wet room installed

Kids are great, my youngest has had me going through Hell for the last 15 months, dealing with the DWP for her, getting her back home to Durham from Canterbury when her flat lease ended, making sure she saw a GP, dentist, optician, dealing with the hole in the world that is Universal Credit etc. etc.

Finally got to the point where her meds were adjusted, UC accepted a fit note and were going to give her a WCA after 15 months of asking for one and then what?, Canterbury Uni emails her and says yes, we did pork up your course and fail to give you any support with things (this was the 2015-16 course), took them over a year to admit it and they offer her free tuition if she comes back down to do it again now.

So, off she went on the train this morning, staying at a friends until the 16th as she can't get into the housing the Uni have sorted (only £550 a month), no student finance in place as we've not been able to submit it online, they got it a week ago by post as urgent, spoke to them this morning and it could be another 4 weeks before she gets a decision!. So as it stands she's got free tuition, a Uni provided flat (at £550 a month) and no grant or loan to pay for it with. If she doesn't get the extra top-up we asked for on the loan she'll have just over £1100 to live on until next June, and that's assuming she gets the grant/loan from student finance.

So no stress for me at all then

Hope it all goes well for your daughter
    You are a very dedicated father
    What is she studying?

Sociology and English Literature, she had problems with sociology during 2015/16 missing classes due to depression and overdoses, half way through the term the Uni decided she should switch to Religious Studies as she would find it easier, they then put her in for the sociology exam so that didn't go well at all!.

I've talked to her throughout the day and she seems happier now she's back in Canterbury so that's a good sign!.

As soon as she's moved in I'll be getting a list of the things she needs for the flat (crockery & general household stuff etc.) so the Argos card will be getting used!. I'll also arrange a groceries delivery from Asda on the Monday for her so I know she's not going to starve any time soon!. She should be getting her final UC payment this Friday (15th) and will have to live on that until the student finance people sort her grant & loan out.
    Last edited by phaedra; 09-12-2017 at 10:37 PM.

I wish her all the best

Update on the bed situation
    My z bed has arrived, funded by ss.
    I chose it myself and I chose it as it folds automatically
    As a guest bed it would be fine, which is it's intended purpose, but as a nightly use by a rather heavy person.ie me, I don't think it will last very long.
    Am I going to christen it tonight?
    The answer is no.
    My son has gone on a short caravan break with his nan, so there's a double with memory foam going spare for three night's
    Night zzzzzzzzzz

Another update
    We have been to court four times in total and the final hearing is now set for march
    The reason for removing the children was a load of hogwash,and had I not lived through the whole scenario,I would not actually believe it
    Social services seem to think nothing of telling lies,to get their own end
    My daughter now seems to be having some sort of breakdown,and as she is a single person in a four bedroom house,her hb,and tax credits are gone
    Landlady has served papers,so before final hearing my daughter will be homeless
    Whole situation seems hopeless and no longer know what to do to help

Debbie, what a nightmare. Your daughter needs urgent help with the housing situation, could Shelter help? She also needs medical help urgently.

Not unheard of for SS to tell a tissue of lies to cover their mistakes.

Sending positive vibes to you all.

Landlady has served papers
    If it's S8, or S21, 'notice to vacate' then this is only the first stage of a 3 stage process.
    (S8 is for rent arrears or other breaches of the lease, S21 is a 'no fault' eviction where the LL just wants the property back).

The process is:
    Landlord gives notice, quoting grounds Section 8 or Section 21.
    Once the time on either of that notice has passed (usually 2 weeks for an S8, at least 2 months for S21) you don't move out and the LL then has to go to court to get an eviction order.
    Even if/when this is granted you don't have to move out on the date on the order, the LL then has to go to court again to arrange for bailiffs to be appointed.
    All of which takes a lot of time.

Somewhere around 40 weeks is the time that a full eviction with bailiffs is currently taking.

Many landlords get the S21 paperwork wrong, which means when they apply for an eviction order it is refused and they have to start all over again, with another S21 giving another 2 months notice.

Both Shelter and your Council will tell you not to leave before the bailiffs turn up.
    If you do you will be classed as 'Intentionally Homeless' and will not recieve emergency housing help from the council.

As beau says, Shelter are the people to go to for help and advice with this eviction situation.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...iction_process
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-04-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.