Thread: Doctor looking through paperwork before they make a decision?

Doctor looking through paperwork before they make a decision?

my support worker just rang the assessment people again and asked them why is it taking so long, the women said they are waiting for a doctor to read through my file and will then make a decision. Is it normal for a doctor to read through peoples paperwork before they invite your to a medical or put you in a group?

What I mean is it is normal for a doctor to look through you paperwork instead of the assessors just sending you straight to a medical to be seen by a health care professional or doctor. Do doctors look at clients assessment forms or because a doctor is looking through them they are more likely to put me in the support group without a medical like they have done 2 times before?
    Last edited by dmorry; 09-12-2017 at 09:12 AM.

If the evidence you have sent is possibly good enough for them to make a decision without a f2f then it would be in order for a doctor to give an expert opinion
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

I didn't send any evidence in, My social worker filled in the forms. He's a from the learning disability department. I think the county hall appointee signed it, I don't think they sent any other evidence. It's been 4 months since they received it and it's making me anxious.

Do you think if they were wanting me to attend a medical they would of made a appointment for me to be assessed in these 4 months or could I still be waiting a medical assessment? Is it normal to wait 4 months for wither a medical or being put into a group?

I can understand your anxiety, but all you can do at this stage is to get your social worker to ring again, possibly mentioning that your MP might soon get involved. It might also be a good idea to ask for a call back from a manager.
    Four months is getting on toward the long side to wait but not unheard of, with a doctor looking at your case they are probably trying to save you from having to attend a f2f. Despite what most people think, the DWP do sometimes try and be sympathitic
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

I have been claiming disability benefits since 2003 and have never attended a medical. I was awarded DLA on paper based assessment then IB. I changed over from IB in 2012 and have since been put in the support group twice without a medical. I have heard that they are starting to implement the exempt criteria for chronically ill people by writing in the assessment reports that this person shouldn't be called into a medical in the future? I don't know if I'll be in the exempt group? I have a Mild Learning Disability, access LD services with a 24/7 onsite support package, also have chronic schizoaffective disorder. No access to my money because it's deemed I lack capasity but I know they only restrict my money because they are stopping me from travelling to Indian and becoming a Bhuddest monk, They are worried about me sacrificing myself to save the world. I'm also on a community treatment order and mandated to receive monthly injections or I'm recalled back on a section 3. I'm very worried about being made homeless. My social worker has said that will never happen but I'm still worried.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorry View Post
    I didn't send any evidence in, My social worker filled in the forms. He's a from the learning disability department. I think the county hall appointee signed it, I don't think they sent any other evidence. It's been 4 months since they received it and it's making me anxious.

Do you think if they were wanting me to attend a medical they would of made a appointment for me to be assessed in these 4 months or could I still be waiting a medical assessment? Is it normal to wait 4 months for wither a medical or being put into a group?

I went through reassessment last year, I sent form back 15 march, heard nothing so e-mailed maximus to see how it was going 16 july, they said had contacted Dr for info, I then received f2f appt for aug, received decision in sept and still in SG.

Hi - If you have an appointee you should not have medical. Also if you have a psychotic disorder, if there is not enough evidence to do a paper assessment then the assessor should seek further medical evidence from the community mental health team. This is clear in the latest Filework Guidelines (sorry I can't do links but you can google easily).
    If Maximus/DWP are difficult about this then these are reasonable adjustments and you should be accommodated
    Too many people are unaware of this so they get away with it. Don't let them.