Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The decline of the diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    It's a small engine so even after running in I think it will be around that figure better the 2.0 version
    My own 3.0 diesel (not on motability obviously I don't miss the scheme) average 35 town and 48 mpg on a run I certainly won't be going to petrol any time soon

Manufacturers give nothing away....diesels when new cost more, depreciate more and servicing costs more. With age when depreciation is over, servicing and repairs still cost more with less jobs being DIY friendly on diesels. The petrol engine is nicer to drive, servicing and repairs cheaper and more DIY inclined and unless completing high mileages the difference in actual running costs in the real world are not very different. Brand loyalty is another factor, as is perceived quality of certain brands but to be fair most modern cars are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by theredvanman View Post
    Manufacturers give nothing away....diesels when new cost more, depreciate more and servicing costs more. With age when depreciation is over, servicing and repairs still cost more with less jobs being DIY friendly on diesels. The petrol engine is nicer to drive, servicing and repairs cheaper and more DIY inclined and unless completing high mileages the difference in actual running costs in the real world are not very different. Brand loyalty is another factor, as is perceived quality of certain brands but to be fair most modern cars are very good.
    A top quality thread with arguments on both sides but there appears to be a shift away from diesel and back to petrol. On a personal front I presently drive a petrol and will be sticking with that fuel despite my current mileage being in excess of 15000 miles. I average 45, just 3 mpg short of previous diesel powered car of similsr power. Agree petrol is much more refined than diesel, power delivery is a personal choice and fuel economy is not a significant factor for many. I don't think we, or other countries, will have the infrastructure for all electric cars in 2040.

Whilst on a visit to friends in East Anglia we discussed this topic. Of the 10 of us who drive, 8 have diesel and 2 petrol but 6 of us would rule out a diesel next time. Just a small straw poll.

It could well be the diesel doesn't deserve all the negative press :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/...ur_car_exhaust

Diesel cars are just being targeted just for increase taxes and our local councils will be falling over each other to introduce a £10 a day charge for bring such cars into our town centres even though most of our wonderful councillors will be going to their meetings in diesel powered taxi’s at our expense.

Fingers could be pointed elsewhere but they don’t bring in much tax...

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...lution-problem

I am looking at possible next car, a Skoda Superb. A 220ps petrol will cost me £1500 less than a 190ps diesel but will be worth over £1000 more if I choose to sell it or trade in in 3 years. It's also quicker and far more refined and according to a highly respected real life mpg website will deliver 37.4 as opposed to the diesels 41.4. This would save me around £500 in fuel which would not offset the higher purchase price and higher resale. Of course this may differ from car to car but the real life mpg is borne out by my present car and others I have driven too. So in my case petrol is a no brainer.