Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The decline of the diesel

The decline of the diesel

I have seen from a number of articles that second hand diesels are becoming "white elephants" with second-hand values declining by over 25% in some cases in just 6 months whilst second-hand petrol have seen increases of over 10% in the same period.
    This will have an effect on Motability prices as they assess the market going forward but, personally I feel we shall see a marked decline in diesel sales over the next 2 or 3 years. Agreed newer cars are cleaner but as the saying goes "mud sticks".
    Petrol, hybrid and electric is the way ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    I have seen from a number of articles that second hand diesels are becoming "white elephants" with second-hand values declining by over 25% in some cases in just 6 months whilst second-hand petrol have seen increases of over 10% in the same period.
    This will have an effect on Motability prices as they assess the market going forward but, personally I feel we shall see a marked decline in diesel sales over the next 2 or 3 years. Agreed newer cars are cleaner but as the saying goes "mud sticks".
    Petrol, hybrid and electric is the way ahead.
    Hi

I dont think diesels will decline personally this is just scare mongering by the media until they find something wrong with petrols as for values etc bare in mind all motability diesels are eu 6 etc its the older eu4 diesels that are being offered to be scrapped so diesels will still have a future. As for the prices well for me 2.0 auto prices havent changed much in 10 12 years so I dont think much will change. As for hybrids being the future ill wait and see.

Another problem for electric cars is the power and the miles range. Plus the fact that finding an rechargeing point is difficult. After 5 years, the batteries need replaced, which costs £5,000. Who's going to buy a used electric car?

Also, lorries and trucks which deliver food etc run on diesel. Take away diesel, how are they going to be able to run?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Hi

I dont think diesels will decline personally this is just scare mongering by the media until they find something wrong with petrols as for values etc bare in mind all motability diesels are eu 6 etc its the older eu4 diesels that are being offered to be scrapped so diesels will still have a future. As for the prices well for me 2.0 auto prices havent changed much in 10 12 years so I dont think much will change. As for hybrids being the future ill wait and see.
    Perhaps we see hydrogen fuel as is case California? Zero emissions.

A lot depends on how battery technology develops.

Remember it's not that long ago that a mobile phone needed a battery the size of a briefcase that only lasted a couple of hours.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	1881
    A few years on and phone batteries the size and thickness of a few playing cards last all day.

Once there enough electric/hybrid cars being sold then the batery makers will put more development into the batteries, making them smaller and longer lasting.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

A Curse

"Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham."

W.H. Auden (1907-1973)

I've always disliked diesel powered cars so can't say I'll miss 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Number7 View Post
    A Curse

"Dark was that day when Diesel conceived his grim engine that begot you, vile invention, more vicious, more criminal than the camera even, metallic monstrosity, bale and bane of our culture, chief woe of our Commonweal. How dare the Law prohibit hashish and heroin yet license your use, who inflate all weak inferior egos? Their addicts only do harm to their own lives: you poison the lungs of the innocent, your din dithers the peaceful, and on choked roads hundreds must daily die by chance-medley. Nimble technicians, surely you should hang your heads in shame. Your wit works mighty wonders, has landed men on the Moon, replaced brains by computers, and can smithy a "smart" bomb. It is a crying scandal that you cannot take the time or be bothered to build us, what sanity knows we need, an odorless and noiseless staid little electric brougham."

W.H. Auden (1907-1973)

I've always disliked diesel powered cars so can't say I'll miss 'em.
    A fine quote. I agree with it all bar "man on the moon". If we were able to achieve this in the 1960's why can we not repeat it almost half a century later? No replies please as it's off topic. The new EU6 diesels may be a bit better but the diesel powertrain is damaged beyond repair.

In relation to that quote you may as well ask where has all the development been in relation to electric cars since early last century, given the fact the first "electric brougham" appeared around 1915.

The answer is probably the same has could be attached to the development of hydrogen powered vehicles, a technology that's got a longer history than that of electricity. If you have an interest in the subject look up a fellow called Roger Billings, one of the greatest innovators of the 1970's.

When I was a child, Milk was delivered by electric powered vehicles. These had a huge array of car batteries linked together under the load floor, a top speed of about 20mph and a range of around 30 miles. They also took 16 hours to charge after 8 hours of use.

The latest Tesla has a top speed that exceeds our National speed limit, a range of a couple of hundred miles and can take a fast recharge (to 80% of battery capacity) in half an hour.

I consider that to be pretty good technological progression.

Quote Originally Posted by CTCELT88 View Post
    Also, lorries and trucks which deliver food etc run on diesel. Take away diesel, how are they going to be able to run?
    It would seem that the Post Office have other ideas about diesel delivery vans . . .
    www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/royal-mail-buys-1…

Perhaps Postman Pat knew something that we didn't!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	?ostman-pat-4.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	1882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Royal Mail.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	1883
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 09-15-2017 at 09:46 AM.