Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The decline of the diesel

Interesting when you look at the Euro 6 limits:

NOx Petrol 0.06 mg/km Diesel 0.08 mg/km
    CO Petrol 1.0 mg/km Diesel 0.50 mg/km

So diesel engines can be up to 33% worse for NOx than petrol, but petrol is 100% worse for CO than diesel. Looks to me that there is a lot of hysteria and unjustified vilification of modern diesel engines.

They will be tested in the lab figures though. On the real road they will be far worse.

The same will apply to both petrol and diesel.

CO isn't the issue presently, it's all about the NOx today.

Aren't our scientists fickle!

Quote Originally Posted by Ransman View Post
    Aren't our scientists fickle!
    Yes they are and most of them along with our wonderful politicians have their heads in places where the sun never shines.

I’ll have no problem with electric cars when I can drive 450 miles without a recharge and then recharge on a forecourt in less than five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    Yes they are and most of them along with our wonderful politicians have their heads in places where the sun never shines.

I’ll have no problem with electric cars when I can drive 450 miles without a recharge and then recharge on a forecourt in less than five minutes.
    I would be happy with 350 miles and an hour charging but we are still a long way off that for a car that is practical for most of us.

In the meantime my diesel SUV will carry five people in comfort plus the wheelchair and other baggage, and has averaged over 50mpg in my first nearly three months of ownership. I have seen 65.4mpg indicated on a run (albeit the FC is approx 3% optimistic). The CO2 it emits is a fraction of the equivalent petrol engine model. Anybody remember global warming? CO2 is considered to be the culprit there.
    Last edited by Ransman; Yesterday at 11:07 PM.