Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Independent Assessment Services formerly ATOS

Independent Assessment Services formerly ATOS

Has anybody had a PIP assessment with Independent Assessment Services (previously ATOS) and had a decision?

I ask as I had mine today and it hasn't filled me with any confidence - I had to reapply for PIP after it was cancelled following an ATOS assessment July '16 and I was unsuccessful with my Tribunal Appeal.

In July of this year I had my ESA "reassessment" and they agreed to arrange and pay for my transport to and from the venue, and having requested for it to be recorded they provided the equipment and a CD copy for me.

For todays PIP assessment I had to arrange and pay for my cab cares (£60) and claim it back via the post - they also told me that I would have to provide the equipment to record the assessment and give a copy to the "health professional" conducting it.

Throughout the whole 80 min assessment the nurse kept referring to wrong information and even said that she was quoting answers I had given in my July 2016 questionnaire - I told her that this assessment was supposed to be based on the questionnaire and evidence I submitted JULY 2017 which seemed to throw her and she quickly said that the 2016 thing must have been a misprint - I asked her she had the details of my GP and other evidence I submitted this July but she said she didn't have any specific information as the DWP "didn't want to influence her decision and wanted her thoughts from the actual face to face assessment".

I did not think it was possible but I think this new incarnation of ATOS is more flawed than the original - please, does anybody have anything positive to say about their dealings with Independent Assessment Services?

Well if the DWP did not give her up to date information ( and she quoted the reason why ) But was quiet happy to refer to an old claim to help her self. (Mind boggling) Also she said "not wanting to influence her decision" That is telling me, that whatever problems you have on record will be ignored and based on the assessment itself. eg, someone who sadly suffers from fits, would be denied ESA, because they never had a fit in the assessment. (even more mind boggling) Good luck

Well thats depressing!

For todays PIP assessment I had to arrange and pay for my cab cares (£60) and claim it back via the post - they also told me that I would have to provide the equipment to record the assessment and give a copy to the "health professional" conducting it.
    Should have requested a home visit if mobility is an issue you are claiming for

Depressing YES. Hope you have a poss outcome though.

I did for both the PIP and my ESA assessment but was declined - ESa did however arrange and pay for my fares in advance.

Evening Machman. Yes, my son had his assessment with the independent assessment services. The nurse who did the home assessment was very kind, very thorough, had my sons form in front of her and went through each question plus a few adding up questions and memory testing questions. His assessment resulted in enhanced for both care and mobility. I also sat in with a friend of mine at her assessment 12 months earlier, it was the same nurse, she too had an enhanced award for both. There are some good assessors out there , they are not all bad.

Thats good to hear but mine wasn't a home assessment - they also denied me the option of recording the assessment on two different formats (cassette and iphone) and insisted that recordings could only be made on cassette or CD and as i only had the one cassette recorder (bought especially for the assessment) they would not allow me to record it.

Unfortunately the rules for recording are straight forward, two identical copies, so both must be either tape or cd and made at the same time. you cannot make a copy later.
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

David69 - it might bode you well in future to first ascertain the full facts before leaving your replies - I did not receive the letter (dated 30/8/17) advising me of the assessment until late afternoon Mon 4th Sept..9 days before the assessment - as i had recently had an ESA "reassessment" 25/7/17 where they arranged and paid for my fares to and from the venue and also provided the recording equipment, I presumed the same would apply for my PIP assessment - as I have trouble reading and understanding forms it wasn't until my Support Worker read the booklet that accompanied the letter that she noticed the small paragraph about having to supply your own recording equipment - by this time it was the afternoon of Thurs 7th Sept, so the following morning she was with me when I rang IAS to clarify the situation by asking if it would be possible to make the recording on two different formats (cassette and iphone) and were told that would be fine as long as we left the cassette with the Health Professional - I asked the person I spoke to to repeat this to my Support Worker which they did - so not only was i given wrong information before the assessment, the "assessor" had old information unrelated to my claim made in July of this year...hence the reason for my original post.