Thread: Taking my powerchair on holiday - how??

Taking my powerchair on holiday - how??

I want to rent a villa somewhere like Spain Portugal or Malta. I can't seem to find rental vehicles with a hoist for the chair.

If I buy a portable ramp, I can take that through the airport without affecting my baggage limit.

But what car should I look to hire so that I can use a ramp to get the chair in. I can walk so don't need to drive it in with me sat on it. It's just too heavy to lift.

What would you recommend?

Biscuitgazer
    Any ideas out there, I'm keen to know the answer too.

Kaff79 what I can tell you Did Not work for me was a pair of 6' ramps and a Peugeot 504, because the slope was too steep, so the anti tip wheels held the drive wheels in the air.

Some years ago I booked a holiday through 'accessible travel' and stayed at a hotel in South Tenerife, Los Christianos - Mar Y Sol Hotel that had ground floor accessible rooms with patio but it was a mainstream hotel. http://www.disabledaccessholidays.com/default.asp

The holiday company had a van with an accessible tail lift.

They used the van to collect and take us back to the hotel for free.

We also had free use of the van to take us to and from the sea front as well as excursions around the island so no ned to hire a vehicle - it worked out very well. accessible holidays

Thanks very much for this! From the web link I found an advert for wheelchair accessible taxis. We will be going as a group but can get a standard hire car and a taxi now. Thanks so much!