Thread: moving house while on benefits- council/housing association.....

Unhappy moving house while on benefits- council/housing association.....

After being on the transfer list with my housing association for what seems like forever, and trying to do a 'mutual exchange' (4 of which have fallen through), my husband and I are in utter despair, desperate to move away from the are we live in, which is basically in the middle of nowhere and makes it virtually impossible for either of us to work since we were both made redundant last year, me in the middle of my maternity leave! We need to move closer to a town centre where we would be closer to basic amenities, as neither of us can drive. We also have a 3 month old baby so need to be closer to childcare etc. It seems like moving is not possible, let alone moving to a new area, we just want a new start now and don't really mind where we move to, as long as we are near a town centre etc. HOW CAN WE MOVE WHILE ON BENEFITS WITHOUT HAVING TO WAIT FOR YEARS????? please help, someone!!! thanks for reading

You could try ringing different areas to see if you meet their criteria for their waiting lists.Your local housing association should have a country wide house exchange site.Have you thought of a three or four way exchanges instead of a straight swap? Have you told your housing association how you are feeling? They should have some kind of support service & tell your GP,who will also support you.

Keep in contact with your local council let them know about the problems you have, do they have a mutual exchange list? is their any particular reason why the exchanges have fallen through? i sympathize with your problem im also looking for an housing association out of area exchange it can be very stressful but stick in their.

Try putting a add in the local paper asking if anyone wants a mutual exchange or in shops in the area you are hoping to move to.
    How about a “leaflet” drop in the area you are wanting to live. You could print out or photo copy a little add to post through letter boxes.

If you can get the support/backing of your GP in that the move will be good for you due to ... x,y, z then that will add a lot more weight to your case with HA looking more closely at your case.

Would you consider a private rent......

Account deleted
    It has become impossible in some area to move, people are feeling the same they need to be close to shops doctors and they will not move out into rural areas. Sadly the only type of help available is of course what you have already done, you can write to your MP who might be able to put pressure on the HA or council.

In my area the waiting list for a transfer is now at eight years, waiting for your first council house is now nine years and growing, and it's going to get worse, with the new laws on people moving out of expensive area to low coats area.

All because they did not keep building social housing.

Be aware that housing associations & council tenants have rights & protections in place that the private renting sector do not have.You may also have to contibute toward the higher cost of a privately rented property.

Another factor people are rarely aware of regarding mutual exchanges with other housing association and/or local authority tennants is that the level of tenancy protection in the new property may not be the same as one currently has and so one needs to check out this aspect of the type of tennacy being offered with the exchange so as to not lose existing rights along the way.

That said the new choice based lettings system used by housing associations and local authorities does work albeit it can take some time to achieve the move one wants/needs and one often has to argue ones corner over the level of priority one deserves and the points that are awarded which determine who get first refusal on available properties.

I'm very lucky to have finally just signed the tennancy for a new fully accessible property (2 bed bungalow with wet room including a spare room for a carer suitable to my on-going care needs), but it was a fight tooth and claw every step of the way to achieve this and some fine tuning of the facilities is still required ,but it proves the system can and does work with a combination of suitable support, lots of patience and determination and finally a good dose of luck as well.

I hope the same will prove true for yourselves eventually Rach and Matt because I know just how soul destroying being trapped in unsuitable accomodation can be having waited over three years for a bathroom I can use without fear of ending up in A&E every time I use it.
    Last edited by Peter aka Sociable; 11-15-2010 at 09:20 PM.
    Peter aka "Sociable"

"Go placidly..be gentle with yourself..strive to be happy"

Richmondshire, North Yorkshire..........sounds wrong but it isn't.
    You might conider renting from a private Landlord..........that way there are few delays.

hiya folks!! Please bare in mind that I'm a noob to the whole 'forum thing' and be gentle!!
    I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on moving home while on benefits, and hope I've posted this question in the right place!!

I've been a tenant of a YOUTH housing association since I was 17 years old, and had to go through shared housing before I got my own 1-bedroom "move-on" flat. I'm now 31, and have FINALLY gotten and accepted an offer on a council flat within the same area.
    I'm currently on Incapacity, Income Support and Housing Benefit, and was wondering what kind of help I'm entitled to, as my housing 'support' workers in the youth housing association aren't up to much, and since getting the phonecall about the offer on Feb 9th, viewing the property yesterday (11th) and getting the keys monday (14th - good job I'm single, not romantic at all, filling in contracts etc lol) it's all moving pretty damned rapidly!! "Dual Housing Benefit" was mentioned by the lovely, helpful lady who showed me round my new flat, and I think I understand that somewhat, but then there's things like moving all my stuff, getting carpets, paint, curtains, a smaller fridge-freezer (mine's too wide) a cooker (current one came with the flat I'm in) etc to deal with, AND AS FAST AS POSSIBLE... Does anyone have any sage advice they can give. I'll take not-so-sage suggestions too, as I need to get things moving post-haste, evidently!! I don't drive, myself, so busing my junk is gonna be a no-no, mostly, but I have family who can help with smaller boxes and stuff - it's moving large items, and obtaining incidentals associated with moving to a new place that'll be more problematic.
    Thanks in advance for ANY help given guys!!

Hi Dragon

Welcome to YA and congratulations on acquiring your new tenancy, I hope you'll be very happy in your new flat. I've got a council flat too and have lived here a very long time. You mentioned that the youth housing support workers weren't of much help but what about your new council landlord? My own council has "tenancy support" officers and other staff, for example estate officers, who are often able to help and advise (or refer tenants to others who can.) It might be a very good idea then to contact the council again and ask them if they are able to help with the practicalities you mention. You also need of course to notify the DWP that you've moved.

Good luck

Mr B