Thread: Automatic prices

Automatic prices

It's been some time since I have been on here, so apologies if I have missed something here. We replaced our Kia Sportage with a Vauxhall Zafira due to needing an automatic in November 2015. While we still have another 12 months to go I idly checked the new price list. What a shock! When we picked our afire up we payed a £750 advance payment, this for the top of the range Elite with the 2.0 Diesel engine. I find that this mix isn't available now, the best you can get is the Design model with the same engine. AP?...
    £2650... for a very old model that's insane. Looking at other options, it appears once you tick the automatic option you can add at least £1000 to the AP. Why is this so?

You might think that those disabled may have greater need for automatics

Be grateful for any information

Being a Auto users myself, You would think there would be a greater choice of automatics on the Scheme but alas no.

The automatic variant of a car is always going to be more expensive than the manual equivalent so naturally the AP is more Plus its servicing costs etc so that would be factored into the AP too and so the cost gets passed onto us.

I find the prices do vary quite wildly at times check back the next quarter (January) and the prices may differ.

Also if your going the diesel route (which is still the mainstream power source for bigger cars such as MPV's) which we need for wheelchairs etc i imagine the current dislike of this fuel isn't helping and pushes the AP up too

Quote Originally Posted by volts View Post
    Being a Auto users myself, You would think there would be a greater choice of automatics on the Scheme but alas no.

The automatic variant of a car is always going to be more expensive than the manual equivalent so naturally the AP is more Plus its servicing costs etc so that would be factored into the AP too and so the cost gets passed onto us.

I find the prices do vary quite wildly at times check back the next quarter (January) and the prices may differ.

Also if your going the diesel route (which is still the mainstream power source for bigger cars such as MPV's) which we need for wheelchairs etc i imagine the current dislike of this fuel isn't helping and pushes the AP up too
    It is a poor show with the choice of automatics. A typical automatic box comes at a premium of £1200-1500 and the cars value after 3 years is around £750-900 more than its equivalent manual. Servicing costs should not make a difference and the car will have full manufacturers warranty. So Motability should be able to include a wide choice, given the scheme parameters and should explain why this is not so.

I am in agreement with the comments in this thread. The choice has indeed diminished, significantly so.

I’ve always had the view if the manual version of a car is on the scheme, so should the automatic, whatever the cost.

Quite often, the choices of larger or 4x4 cars are larger for manuals, it has been like this for a while. However, it is not only these larger cars that are not on the scheme.

At last look, there are manual i30's on the scheme, but no automatics, these most certainly at not premium or large cars.

As for 4x4, SUV, larger vehicles, such as the CRV, while the only automatics at the moment are the outdated 2 litre petrol's with 5 speed auto, which are slow and thirsty, in manuals you can get the 1.6 diesel, with 9 speed gearbox. The CRV in many markets worldwide has a version of the 5 litre turbo, as used in the Civic, with a CVT, which is much more economical and faster.

Personally, due to my needs, room for wheelchair and easier access, MPV, faux SUV, or real 4x4 are better. However, failed to get enhanced mobility on PIP. So, cannot use the scheme, my own car is getting on a bit and probably soon will be too expensive to keep on the road, so a little run around is all I will be able to get.

I did look at a CR-V but the petrol versions have the out dated 5 speed auto box and are very thirsty. I hope you are able to get a suitable car. With everything else which is going on PIP has fallen below the political radar.

I too am an automatic user, I've always been under the impression that auto's in the USA are less expensive than manuals. I wonder how that works?

In the US, driving a 'stick' or manual car is not as popular as automatic gearboxes, indeed in the US many cars do not even come with the option of a manual gearbox.

I would imagine it is a case of market forces, demand and supply, if there is little demand for manuals, that would probably drive up the price. Even though, as occasionally happens, I will come across a review of a vehicle in the US and AUS/NZ, for that matter that you will get a vehicle which is automatic only, where as in this market and even Europe as a whole, some models only come as manuals, or very few versions with auto as option, some not at all, in model, version, engine combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by mzmps View Post
    In the US, driving a 'stick' or manual car is not as popular as automatic gearboxes, indeed in the US many cars do not even come with the option of a manual gearbox.

I would imagine it is a case of market forces, demand and supply, if there is little demand for manuals, that would probably drive up the price. Even though, as occasionally happens, I will come across a review of a vehicle in the US and AUS/NZ, for that matter that you will get a vehicle which is automatic only, where as in this market and even Europe as a whole, some models only come as manuals, or very few versions with auto as option, some not at all, in model, version, engine combinations.
    In France, to hire an Auto is very expensive, double the price of manual.