Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exempt car tax rules

exempt car tax rules

Hi . My husband is the one on higher mobility PiP and Im his main carer. Im going away for a few days . However my son will be staying here to care for his dad but will also be going to work in the daytime. Will he be allowed to drive husbands car to get to work and to come back to care for him in the evening. (cooking for his dad, checking on he's ok etc) . Obviously we will be getting son insured on the car for these few days. Car is not a mobility one but husband applied to not pay road tax, due to receiving PiP higher mobility.

All answers very much appreciated. Thank you

I don’t think that’s a problem with the car being taxed in the disabled class and as it’s not a Motability car you can have anyone you insure to drive it.

That’s my thoughts and I’m sure someone who actually knows about this will be along soon.

Thanks for your reply. Looks like its a grey area.

It is not a grey area at all

"It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use."

source: https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-di...-and-transport

Yes, had seen that before. But personal needs can be the carer needing to use the disabled persons car to get to him to care for him. Is that not so?

Let’s face it, although it maybe bending the rules a little bit, no one is going to give a hoot over your son using your car for a few days with its disabled tax.

Works both ways, local council can’t give us free parking because there is no way of telling on the spot if a car is disabled classed or not so it’s very unlikely anyone will notice if your car is disabled class either and it highly unlikely that should your son be unfortunate to have an accident in your car that the insurance company would take any notice of the tax class as long as it was taxed and MOT’ed.

Not even the DVLA tax and MOT checker website tells anyone (other than the police that is) that a car is in the disabled classed.

End of the day it’s you and your conscious that has to live with the terrible crime of looking after your loved ones, after all no Tory or Labour government will.

In reality what you're looking to do isn't a problem at all. Your son will be helping Dad out.

Years ago our Moderator Graham contacted Motability and DVLA about similar scenarios, transpired, it was indeed a grey area.

Go ahead with the plan Gocat and enjoy your respite from caring

Umm, am sure that when i checked the DVLA site with my last cars reg number it came up as in the Disabled class, as i was/am VED exempt , am "in between " cars at the moment so cannot verify this, maybe someone can try it with their car reg and let us know .

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Umm, am sure that when i checked the DVLA site with my last cars reg number it came up as in the Disabled class, as i was/am VED exempt , am "in between " cars at the moment so cannot verify this, maybe someone can try it with their car reg and let us know .
    My just came up as "taxed" and does not mention the D word

Thanks for the info , they should stop " nosey neighbours" finding out your vehicle status !