Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New claim PIP decision - so happy

New claim PIP decision - so happy

Just wanted to post my experience with claiming PIP on behalf of my daughter. Sorry if I ramble, it’s my first post.

She has been on ESA support group for many years due to MH issues, depression, severe panic attacks, anxiety etc.

ESA currently due for renewal, awaiting f2f assessment end of month.....absolutely dreading it on her behalf!!!,

Decided to claim PIP on 4/7/17, to be honest was scared too before that as afraid ESA would be affected, as had such an ordeal at last assessment. I completed the form, showing how she met the discriptors, no medical evidence was provided as Dr refused stating if they want it they can write to him, daughter very socially isolated so not undergoing treatment except medication from GP. I am her carer, and it’s not easy, nor is this the life I wanted for my daughter, but we have coped as best we can, and will continue to do so.

Had her f2f on 20/09/17, assessor was very nice, and allowed me to speak at times too, it was still a nerve wracking experience and daughter really struggled to get through it.
    Today she got award letter giving her standard daily living 10pts and standard mobility 10pts, decision had been made 2/10/17. Plus confirmed backpay in bank from 9th....

We are just in shock after everything I had read, didn’t for one minute think she would get it without a fight.

Just wanted to explain how things can work out, the assessor was a paramedic in this case, and I do feel she really understood the issues, and obviously reflected that in her report. She told us she had written to GP for further information, and had to wait for his response.

I believe daughter will also now qualify for severe disability premium, she does meet eligibility criteria, lives alone and nobody gets carer’s allowance for her. Does anyone know if she needs to claim that or will ESA be notified by PIP??

Hi so glad you got a result. To get the premium your daughter needs to also get ESA(IR) either totally or as a top up
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

Congrats on your daughter's successful decision.

I echo what David said and also going from other people's experiences on here I would recommend she calls them if she qualifies for it and asks for it. I've read a few times here that people haven't been getting their entitlement as they didn't know about it, so I would assume they may not talk to each other all that much tbh!

Thank you, yes she is definitely entitled to it, in support group ib esa, lives alone, nobody gets carer’s allowance.

Will give them a call.

Was your daughter's mobility award given on the planning a journey or moving about? If it's the latter she should get automatic qualification for a Blue badge.

It was the planning a journey aspect, no requirement for blue badge in this case.

In my area, you don't necessarily have to have a mobility award to make an application for a Blue Badge, it can be dependent on other circumstances, check with your Local Authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    In my area, you don't necessarily have to have a mobility award to make an application for a Blue Badge, it can be dependent on other circumstances, check with your Local Authority.
    Yeah, it's the same in my area as well. You will be assessed by an OT and then they decide.
    The only reason I asked was because if they had at least 8 points for moving around would have gotten them automatic entitlement.

Quote Originally Posted by NeurologicalNed View Post
    Yeah, it's the same in my area as well. You will be assessed by an OT and then they decide.
    The only reason I asked was because if they had at least 8 points for moving around would have gotten them automatic entitlement.
    Automatic entitlement also varies with area - here you don't automatically qualify for a Blue Badge unless you have 12 points, enhanced mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoodle View Post
    Automatic entitlement also varies with area - here you don't automatically qualify for a Blue Badge unless you have 12 points, enhanced mobility.
    Really? That's madness!