Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New diagnosis - do I have to tell the DWP?

Question New diagnosis - do I have to tell the DWP?

Hi, so recently (well around 3 months ago) I got diagnosed with a new condition after my WCA. After my mum filled out my PIP application (yesterday) she asked me if I would need to tell the people who deal with ESA about the new condition and I don't know? I'm in SG at the moment. Should I inform them (ESA) because I have included my new condition in the PIP application. If I should, will this trigger a reassessment for ESA? I really can't deal with all that again, not so soon after anyway.

Unfortunately if there has been a change in diagnosis you will need to inform the DWP. If you don't you could end up owing money and having to pay them back so it's best to inform them. This could possibly trigger a re-assessment but it might not. When I was re-diagnosed and was told I have a Neurological disorder I informed them and I didn't have to go for another assessment but I may have just been lucky.

Send in the letter with your new diagnosis and explain to them that your limitations are the same and there's been no change other than the name of your condition.

Well, I still have all my previous diagnoses, just this "new" additional one. I also don't have any evidence of it other than a prescription (even that isn't a definitive diagnosis, lol). I guess I'll just tell my mum to phone ESA about it when she gets back from work tonight, I don't know. Been very unwell recently and in sporadic contact with the crisis team so haven't really had time to deal with DWP and whatever.

Always a tricky one.

Firstly the PIP application will not affect your ESA award, they are completely different things.

As far as the ESA itself:

The DWP say that you should report any change.

Whether reporting a new condition would trigger a new WCA who can tell, the DWP work in mysterious ways.

Unless the change is something that possibly improves your ability to work then it shouldn't change your Support Group award anyway, so why bother stiring them up?

I pondered this question when my epilepsy returned 2 years ago, and again last year after I had a heart attack. Both of those would be classed as new conditions.
    But as neither of these would have improved my ability to work I decided not to bother telling them.
    (Even though it was just slightly possible that I could have been judged less able to do work related activities and so moved from WRAG to SG).

So I waited until I got sent a new ESA50, (last weekend), and have included the new conditions on there.

Of course it's up to you if you tell them now; or do as I did and wait for your next ESA50 and assessment.

What are they going to do?
    They can't reduce an ESA award just because you didn't tell them that you had got worse.
    (It could be different if you had got better and more able to work of course).

But that's the whole reason for having reassessments in the first place - To see if things have changed since your last one.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-12-2017 at 06:42 AM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by gone View Post
    Well, I still have all my previous diagnoses, just this "new" additional one. I also don't have any evidence of it other than a prescription (even that isn't a definitive diagnosis, lol). I guess I'll just tell my mum to phone ESA about it when she gets back from work tonight, I don't know. Been very unwell recently and in sporadic contact with the crisis team so haven't really had time to deal with DWP and whatever.
    Ok, so if this a new condition ON TOP of your other illnesses I wouldn't bother informing them. What's the point of informing them you have gotten worse when you're already in the SG? There's nothing more they can do. Now if your condition had changed or was given a different diagnosis then this might have affected your claim.
    If you inform them then you're just possibly putting the cat among the pigeons for no real reason and will cause yourself more upset.

OK, thanks for the advice! Will just leave it until they decide to reassess me for ESA. Just wasn't sure and neither was my mum (hence the question).

Although PIP and ESA applications are different a change to either could and has led to further review. Thats a fact. Best to not follow Nukecad advice as all changes in a health condition have to be reported as they happen. Being selective about a change in circumstances is not advised no matter how convenient it may feel at the time
    If you do not report it and later wish to rely on this change in condition then this may prove to be awkward and the question "Why did you not inform us at the time?" May well be asked. If you need further advice then feel free to message me

I'm not being funny but Nukecad is a respected member of these forums and has been here for years. He/she always give sound and appropriate advice, I've never known them to give out incorrect advice.
    I hope this doesn't come across as rude, it's not my intention I just see you're a new member here

Btw, you can't message privately on these forums.

" WHY DID YOU NOT INFORM US AT THE TIME" No brainer. Nothing to be gained if you do, only setting yourself up for the inevitable crap at an earlier point in time.

Biscuitgazer
    I phoned ESA and told them I'd applied for PIP owing to a change of circumstances - as in I'd got worse - and they said well I was in the support group already so it didn't make any difference. It did not trigger anything, I doubt they have even noted the reason for my call in their records.