Thread: Carers allowance

Carers allowance

Hi

My carer is still waiting after 6 weeks applying online and when they rang them yesterday for a update the lady said they has not even looked at the claim and it will take up to another 10 weeks OR more !!

I think its ridicolous to wait that long i feel awful that they care for Me and dont have much money coming in ,

Has anyone else been told that ?
    Thanks in advance

Biscuitgazer
    I think they pay the arrears from the date your carer applied when they make the first CA payment.

Hi, my partner applied for Carers Allowance beginning of September and still waiting, when I rang for a update I was told they were only doing claims dated end of July so will be at least another 4-6 weeks!! The only positive I can take from it is at least it will be backdated. Doesn’t help in the mean time though. Good luck hope things get sorted for you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly230 View Post
    Hi, my partner applied for Carers Allowance beginning of September and still waiting, when I rang for a update I was told they were only doing claims dated end of July so will be at least another 4-6 weeks!! The only positive I can take from it is at least it will be backdated. Doesn’t help in the mean time though. Good luck hope things get sorted for you soon.
    At least you will get a nice lump sum just before Christmas.

Before claiming Carer's Allowance, wait until the person you look after receives a decision about their claim for PIP, AA or DLA. If you make your claim for Carer's Allowance within three months of the date of that decision, your Carer's Allowance will be paid from the same date the PIP, DLA or AA is paid. You will be paid the arrears of benefits you're owed.

Your carer has to ask for the arrears so is they haven't already done so they should telephone and make sure the arrears are asked for.

I'm not sure if he asked for the arrears he just put the dates he has been caring for me ,

Because he's on JSA and signing on every fortnight (he can't claim income support until the carers allowance is active) ,

The last time he signed on he saw a different advisor and he threatened him with sanctioning because he didn't apply for all the jobs going , he said he wouldn't be able to work those hours as he cares for me , but the advisor said "you aren't receiving it yet so you have to apply" ,

Thanks all for replying means a lot , I hope he does get it paid before Xmas x

If he's been claiming Jobseekers' allowance he won't get any arrears of Carer's Allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoodle View Post
    If he's been claiming Jobseekers' allowance he won't get any arrears of Carer's Allowance.
    Not quite true.

He should be awarded Carer's Allowance to when OP's PIP award began (if meeting the criteria I previously quoted) but since it is counted as income for JSA they do not award the backpay as if they did he would have an overpayment of JSA. Since the amount of backpay for CA and overpayment of JSA is the same they balance one off against the other.

But they should backdate the award of the Carer's premium on his JSA.

The carer then can remain on JSA (if they can job seek) or change to Income Support. In the future the carer would receive JSA or IS minus the CA but plus a Carer's Premium He would receive the CA as a separate payment. He should be about £30 a week better off.