Thread: Stuck in Alicante

Stuck in Alicante

Should have flown home yesterday. On arrival at the airport found that my flight was cancelled. Swissport were dealing with finding accommodation etc. and were aware that I am a wheelchair user, assistance had been booked well in advance.
    First I was left to find my own accessible taxi, which I did thanks to some helpful taxi drivers who called one for me. I was then transported for 40 minutes before being deposited in the middle of a busy road outside a hotel with a step up to a revolving door. I eventually found the wheelchair access round the back only to be told that hotel does not accept wheelchairs.
    After nearly an hour another accessible taxi turned up to take me to a different hotel, I knew not where as he didn’t speak any more English than I speak Spanish. I had to pay for that taxi which has left me with less than 10 euros plus an emergency credit card. It was after 11pm by the time I was checked in and the restaurant was closed so I’d had no food since midday.
    I’ve heard nothing from the airline nor been provided with any information about when they might get me home. There is no one else from the flight at this hotel and I’m worried they will just forget me. I’m also pretty horrified that anyone would think it ok for a single and vulnerable woman to be carted around a strange city late at night and left stranded who knows where - I’m scared to leave the room in case I miss a call.
    Any advice on sorting the immediate problem of getting home - I can worry about the rest later.

I would phone the British Consulate in Alicante for help and advice.

https://www.gov.uk/world/organisatio...ulate-alicante

They have an emergency line +34 965 21 60 22, single female, strange city, wheelchair, I would class your situation as an emergency.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

The hotel organised getting me back to the airport where I was actually given priority for the first available flight to my original destination in the event of a no-show. As my son wasn't able to collect me from the airport, the airline also arranged a taxi home.
    Had that failed, the airline were going to route me through Madrid and Heathrow, so I'm pretty glad someone decided not to fly or was late, but hope it wasn't the elderly couple who arrived at check in just as I was being taken through to security.
    It was my first time travelling alone, and despite the problems, it hopefully won't be the last.

Meant to also say thanks for the suggestion which I'd certainly have taken if I'd seen it, and I'll bear it in mind in future though I hope this won't happen again.

I have also just had an email from Flybe, clearly generic and being sent to all passengers, offering me a £75 voucher. Well that's made me feel better, not!
    Last edited by AngieHB; 10-19-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Glad you were sorted.

Flybe, has been in the news this morning, another airline having problems. Profit Warnings and around 20% drop in stocks today.