Thread: Disposing of a stairlift

Disposing of a stairlift

I have a Acorn stairift (8yrs old) to be remmoved from my parents house. Acorn will charge the person recieving it £495 to uninstall and install (with a 3 month guarantee) but we were wondering if there is a way to find a person in genuine need via a charity who could uninstall and install it. Its in Essex. Any ideas will be welcomed as we have rung most places to be either told a straight NO or told we will have to pay to have it uninstalled which we cant do as we have no money to do this, and also these companies then sell them onto others at a profit so seems a rip off. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Try advertising it in Free Ads, it won't cost you and you may get something for it if you put a reasonable price on it and state it needs to be removed.

I had the same problem when I needed a stairlift removing. As Beau says it's worth seeing if you can sell it. I didn't find a buyer for mine but after phoning round several places who advertise that they fit re conditioned Stairlifts I found someone who was willing to remove it without charge, and that was the best I managed. Not great, but better than paying to have it removed. I think there's a lot of people in this position as they have become more popular over the last few years. It's certainly worth spending some time phoning round.

DIY fitting of a second hand starilift is not a good idea at all.

There are many problems, not least of which is how long/how steep are the stairs, and is it a LH or RH stairlift (they are different).
    http://www.helpinghandstairlifts.co....it-a-stairlift

The companies charge so much because it is taken back to the factory and refurbished to make sure its working right and is safe to use, and longer/shorter rails may need to be fitted in the new location.

If a charity took an unwanted stairlift and installed it in a new location and something went wrong, maybe the new user suffered an injury, they they could get sued for a very large amount.
    I doubt you will find a charity that would take the risk.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-26-2017 at 08:35 AM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

Biscuitgazer
    That's true, nukecad, but in addition to the good professional fitters out there there are also the cowboys to watch out for, those who charge for all the stuff you mentioned, but then don't bother to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    DIY fitting of a second hand starilift is not a good idea at all.

There are many problems, not least of which is how long/how steep are the stairs, and is it a LH or RH stairlift (they are different).
    http://www.helpinghandstairlifts.co....it-a-stairlift

The companies charge so much because it is taken back to the factory and refurbished to make sure its working right and is safe to use, and longer/shorter rails may need to be fitted in the new location.

If a charity took an unwanted stairlift and installed it in a new location and something went wrong, maybe the new user suffered an injury, they they could get sued for a very large amount.
    I doubt you will find a charity that would take the risk.
    Thank you Beau, Fliss, Biscuitgazer for your thoughts all helpful, and Nukecad you are so right I had the service done on it today and the engineer was very thorough at explaining about the survey they do to install it in another house and what they do when they take it back from you for someone else. I also spoke to Age Concern today and they gave me a few ideas so I will be ringing around tomorrow - and it will probably be through Acorn with the £495 for the buyer to pay and have it reinstalled safely or sadly a breakers for parts.

I will let you know the outcome - we need to do this fast as we cant now get the furniture down the stairs with the stairlift in place.

Thank you all ... PB

Even with the £495 charge it's still a big saving over a brand new one.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.