Thread: All medicals (in my county) to be done at jobcentre

All medicals (in my county) to be done at jobcentre

I was wondering what others thought of this? There is now a replacement centre for the most disabled to be seen in my county (so not the one automatically assigned that's in another county altogether).

Bad news, is it is in the only jobcentre left in my county. It's extremely busy constantly. They won't allow mobiles under any circumstances or any recording equipment under any circumstances, CCTV and security everywhere. Notice says Peoples bags are subject to 'random' searching.

The nearest car park is half a mile away - there's no parking at all for visitors, it's permit only with an £85 charge for illegal parking.

Worse there are no private rooms for assessments to be done in, or chairs that are not on castors (so extremely hard to get out of). It's literally just a massive room with no privacy whatsoever and no one can record their 'medical' as its strictly banned in the jobcentre, not that you can actually hear any questions asked as its so noisy with constant phones ringing and interviews taking place

I was banned for life from entering the jobcentre a year ago due to being unwell (long story) so won't be having assessments there, but wondered what others thought.

I found out after walking past the old centre which was much closer to me - there's a massive sign saying to either go to Swansea or the local jobcentre for assessments (local being Welsh local so it's miles away).
    Last edited by Bekki2017; 10-28-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Mistakes corrected

I can’t see how that is permitted tbh. Particularly the one about not having a private room for assessments.

These are functional medical assessments and privacy as well as confidentially is written into the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Bekki2017 View Post
    I found out after walking past the old centre which was much closer to me - there's a massive sign saying to either go to Swansea or the local jobcentre for assessments (local being Welsh local so it's miles away).
    I think you may have missunderstood what the sign is actually saying.

(They do like to make things confusing).

You say "the old centre" do you mean one of the many jobcentres that have been closed?
    If so then it's probably just informing people where to go to be 'assessed' for any new claim of any type.

OR

They call your first meeting when making a new ESA claim, or a new UC Limited Capability claim, your 'initial assessment'.

It is not the Work Capability Assessment, it is a Work Focused Interview called a 'Health and Work Conversation', and is done at the Jobcentre just like any other WFI.

With a new claim it will be done before you have a Work Capability Assessment.

You can read more about them here:
    http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...k-Conversation

There would not be a sign at a jobcentre telling you where to go for a WCA, CHDA/Maximus send you a letter telling you where to go if needed.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-29-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

yes these silly chats at jobcentres do unerve people , either people are to sick to focus on work or there not?
    are these jobcentre staff getting doctors wages? they may as well give out prescriptions while there at it and put the doctors on JSA?.
    i think doctors should make more NOISE about there patients being put in front of jobcentre staff for a reassessment or secound medical oppinion?

just to add i still believe these chats at jobcentres are designed to gather evidence for future health assessments and provide proof claiments CAN attend jobcentres when asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Bekki2017 View Post
    I was wondering what others thought of this? There is now a replacement centre for the most disabled to be seen in my county (so not the one automatically assigned that's in another county altogether).

Bad news, is it is in the only jobcentre left in my county. It's extremely busy constantly. They won't allow mobiles under any circumstances or any recording equipment under any circumstances, CCTV and security everywhere. Notice says Peoples bags are subject to 'random' searching.

The nearest car park is half a mile away - there's no parking at all for visitors, it's permit only with an £85 charge for illegal parking.

Worse there are no private rooms for assessments to be done in, or chairs that are not on castors (so extremely hard to get out of). It's literally just a massive room with no privacy whatsoever and no one can record their 'medical' as its strictly banned in the jobcentre, not that you can actually hear any questions asked as its so noisy with constant phones ringing and interviews taking place

I was banned for life from entering the jobcentre a year ago due to being unwell (long story) so won't be having assessments there, but wondered what others thought.

Tell them you will need to travel to and from in a taxi, because you cannot walk that far without stopping due to the pain and that they will have to pay for the taxi's on their account, because you do not have the money needed available unless there is a frequent bus service that stops within a reasonable distance to your home and the job centre , and the journey would not take more than 90mins in either directions ( use Maxi farces rules ) also is this job centre on the ground floor i ask because if on 1st or higher floor and you have mobility issues and can't do stairs they can't insist you attend due to fire regulations because lifts are usually disabled if the fire alarm sounds
    Last edited by tom34; 10-30-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Sorry for not replying sooner, I've been in hospital since Sunday.

With respect Nukecad I've not misunderstood. The medicals now take place in the jobcentre the notice clearly states

"medical assessment centre is now permanently closed. All medicals are now are undertaken in the jobcentre office only" (with the Welsh equivalent and address).

There are no rooms there so there's no way they can be private or confidential as nothing in there is. I emailed my MP about this before going into hospital and he says that is what he has been told as well, literally no where near to park at all and no option to be dropped off due to the new location. No one assessed there would ever get high rate mobility because you need to walk so far to get to it from any transport. The letters sent by maxifarce etc clearly state that's where to go. The MP has had many complaints about it.

Just to add the MP is looking into this.

Sorry for all the edits!
    Last edited by Bekki2017; 11-04-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Error correction!

Fair enough.

But I still believe that you may be confusing the Initial Assessment and the Work Capability Assessment.

This jobcentre guide to the Work Capability Assessment says:

The Work Capability Assessment is the primary way in which ESA claims are assessed. The initial assessment happens at a Jobcentre Plus location, and will be carried out by an approved healthcare professional who's trained to handle ESA claims. Their job is to assess how much your condition affects your capability to work, and then advise the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) – the department that administers benefit claims.
    And then later says:
    Most people are asked to have a face-to-face medical assessment.

There are a number of reasons why it may happen – it certainly doesn't imply that any information you've provided is seen as suspicious, or suggest that that your claim may be unsuccessful. In fact, your claim won't be turned down unless you've been to a medical assessment, or at least been offered the opportunity to have one.

If you need to have a medical assessment, the process is designed to accommodate people with difficulties, so it'll usually happen at a medical centre close to where you live. If your nearest facility is more than a 90 minute journey away, or you're unfit to travel for any reason, a healthcare professional may then visit you at your home.
    So as you see there are 2 stages to your ESA 'assessment'.
    An Initial stage at the jobcentre to see if you can qualify for assessment rate ESA,
    and then the WCA at an assessment centre to see if you qualify for a group.

If they are indeed carrying out WCA's in an open plan jobcentre then this would be in contravention of your rights.

Can you supply any links to evidence that WCA's are actually being done in an open plan office?
    (Local press or your MP's website perhaps?).

This is a FoI request made today regarding privacy in Jobcentre open plan offices, covert recording, and the use of private rooms.

The DWP reply, when it is eventually made, may have some relevence here.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...coming-1067791

Thankyou for the link. I'm aware of the two stages for application, I'm not being argumentative just difficult to make myself clear here.

There's nothing on the MP website about it and the local press are useless - I know the MP tried to discuss the committee which is currently asking for comments about ESA/pip application process but it wasn't put in the paper - they have a reputation for not printing things they feel might be controversial. Living in a very rural area we don't have a daily paper and the things reported are rarely of use to anyone - commonly ads go in weeks after they've expired for example.

I only know about it after contacting the MP and saying that's what's been reported to them. The medical centre is definitely closed and states clearly all medical assessments are now to be done in the jobcentre, the centre was always electronically locked with access only allowed via intercom if someone had an appointment card for medical assessment which they had to read from to gain access. Jobcentre is open plan definitely, however, there is a possibility that they have offices upstairs (which was where the disabled claimant advisor was based when such things existed) but there's 25 steep steps (it's up two floors as there's another business on the first floor) and no lift.

My understanding from the MP is that this is seen as a suitable alternative to those who are unable to travel to Swansea which is where the next assessment centre is. MP is fighting it but there's nothing in the public domain aside from the sign which I cannot take a photograph of and post without giving details of my location online which I don't want to do.

Our jobcentre has a sign stating no one is to use a mobile phone under any circumstances in the building and they will be made to leave if found to have one (the irony of that statement isn't lost on me!).

If anything is posted on his website or anywhere else then I'll post a link.