Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits and sub letting please advice :)

Benefits and sub letting please advice :)

I am on high rate care - esa- support group non income related I think ? I have no savings or income - I recieve a 2 bed HB allowance as I sometimes have an overnight carer -I make up the shortfall in my rent ( pretty high) - I’m thinking of subletting a room as I have one spare to help with the gap - and charge £30 per week I no the first 20 is disregarded - could anyone advice on how and if this will effect my ESA and hb? And will council tax change too? As I get council tax support - just looking for some general advice to see if the impact will be minimal and if it is worth doing

Thank you in advance

P.s I’m not including food etc

There was a thread back in april that may be of interest
    sorry I dont know how to link you into it but if you put "rent a room" in the search box you can find it
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

Afternoon David I’ve just had a search and is confused the hell out me lol I don’t understand any of it

Before I help with the lodger question it is very important that we know whether you are on contribution based ESA or income based. You seem to think that you are on contribution based but if you have no other income or savings then you should have income based although this may be made up of contribution based with an income based top up.

Please look at you award letter and tell us exactly how your ESA award has been assessed. (We can also check that you are receiving the correct amounts.

Council Tax - the lodger will be considered a 'disregarded person' as you have higher rate care and they are 'about' to supervise/assist. You won't lose your single persons discount.

Affecting your benefit -it will but I'm sure someone will know the ins and outs.

When you take on a lodger they will be known as an 'excluded occupier' and it's best if you have an agreement that you both sign. If they are to pay rent weekly you need to give the a rent boo. If they pay monthly you don't need too. Notice given - if they pay weekly then a weeks notice is needed on either side. Monthly notice and 4 weeks notice must be given. Make sure you get paid rent in advance too. Ask if they receive HB too as this will impact on your means-tested benefits

Where to find a lodger and a ready made EO Agreement - try spareroom.com

Thank you for ur replies I’ve checked my award and I am on income based - and the potential person I’m considering sub lettering to works

Thank you for ur replies I’ve checked my award and I am on income based - and the potential person I’m considering sub lettering to works

The easiest way to do this is to have a boarder instead of a lodger. You would have to provide them with a meal - breakfast is the easiest - providing cereal etc -.

If you have a boarder then the first £20 of their rent is disregarded and then 50% of the remainder is deducted from your income based ESA.

You would still be eligible for HB but an extra room rate would be given so your HB would be based on the 3 bed local housing allowance.

You would need to inform all benefit departments of the change in circumstances.

Since you already have a carer ( are they claiming Carer's Allowance for you?) I do not know whether you would keep your single person's discount as all councils have different rules.

Best advice I can give is to go to CAB and ask them to do a quick benefit check for you based on now and if you have a lodger (boarder for benefits purposes)
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 10-29-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Hello thanks again for ur reply -no careers allowance isn’t claimed for me I get a enhanced disability premium in my ESA-sorry I’m not the best at retaining info - just to make sure I understand - if I charge £30-£35 per week which includes breakfast - £20 is disregarded ? And the rest -50% will be disregarded ? So it’s a potential 5-7.50 a week deduction out my esa ?
    and I get the max allowance from my LA - I get a 2 bed “allowance “ due to occasional over night care and dla high rate care income - will the 5-7.50 as above ( remaining ) be deducted out my housing benefit ? It will they increase my allowance ? I will ring cab I just want to get it straight in my head first -
    Council tax - I recieve council tax support - and pay £9 per month