Thread: Nerve Pain

Nerve Pain

Hi

I have had nerve pain for a while now but the last few months I am totally exhausted and emotional

I have been visiting the pain clinic since July and have kept a pain diary to take with me in a couple of weeks. I knew I had many sleepless nights but was surprised just how many, on average 5 nights a week and twice a night although there has been one night in the last 3 weeks where I was woken 4 times. I get a burning feeling in my hands which can go on for a very long time, have quite often cried with the pain and I can cope with a lot of pain...usually! I have this pain in a milder form during the day along with electric shock feeling down my spine. I also have lost my balance and co-ordination and for some reason my fingers twitch

My GP is excellent, always willing to listen and is increasing my meds to try and ease the pain and the pain clinic have given me electro-acupuncture which didn't do much, I am now in another dept of the pain clinic. My whole life has changed, I used to be happy, going out as much as possible even though I walked slowly (I also have arthritis in spine & hip) but all I want now is to stay in. By 10.30am - 11am I am ready to curl up on sofa, I am always sleeping, I can't remember when I last read a book or did a crossword, it has changed every aspect of my life and I hate it. I want to be the happy outgoing person I was not this tired, emotional woman

Sorry for the moan, I usually just get on with things but this is so debilitating, does anyone else suffer from nerve pain and if so,are you affected the same way

Thanks

Yes I have neuropathic pain too. One pill that is usually prescribed for nerve related pain is Gabapentin - it may help.

Presently I'm under the neuro physics and they show me varies exercises to keep the muscles active. r

Gentle exercise like swimming helps and you can usually take a friend/PA for free.

I've had acute pain 24/7 for 40 years so my pain threshold is very high too.

So swimming, exercise, ask your Dr to refer you to a neurologist physio too.

Thank you for your advice. I was on pregabalin and amitriptylin but they made my fingers and legs twitch so much, maybe due to high dosage of gabapentin - 12 a day @ 300mg
    I am presently on pregabalin and butec patch. I had a telephone consultation with my Dr about an hour ago, she has asked me to go to the surgery this afternoon so we can talk about medication, she did say she might increase my patch

My pain started as burning in my foot back in 2014 but got much worse by end of 2015 and now I don't sleep well at all. Its good to know someone else is going through this too as you understand but it not good you have the pain. People ask what neuropathy is but I'm sure they don't believe me when I say it's a burning feeling, and it disturbs sleep so much, its hard for them to imagine it. As I said in my previous post, my life has changed so much, I just want to be able to go out, read and do a crossword not be exhausted all the time

I will mention neuro physics to my Dr when I see her later

Once again, thank you

Yes - I get nerve pain in my ankle. I broke and dislocated it so had to have a metal plate and screws put in to help mend it.

Now I get nerve pain around my scar and in my heel.

In 1978, I fell off my motorbike and forgot to let loose of the handlebars. Which snapped the brachial plexus nerve in my right shoulder, paralysing my right arm.
    The only times when I have not had the burning sensation in my fingers and hand were when I allowed my hand to drop onto some hot metal which burned my fingers,
    or when I fell down last year and broke my arm. Alas, not a lot we can do about it, at least the pain tells me that the arm is still there.
    I too have tried lots of different medications and nothing has worked, so now I have to put-up-with-it.
    If you want to sleep for a long time? The closest I've found is to stay awake for a couple of days previously. Good luck in your search Tony

In 1978, I fell off my motorbike and forgot to let loose of the handlebars. Which snapped the brachial plexus nerve in my right shoulder, paralysing my right arm.
    The only times when I have not had the burning sensation in my fingers and hand were when I allowed my hand to drop onto some hot metal which burned my fingers,
    or when I fell down last year and broke my arm. Alas, not a lot we can do about it, at least the pain tells me that the arm is still there.
    I too have tried lots of different medications and nothing has worked, so now I have to put-up-with-it.
    If you want to sleep for a long time? The closest I've found is to stay awake for a couple of days previously. Good luck in your search Tony

I really feel for you!!!
    I have severe sciatica and my right leg has gone numb due to the nerve pain.
    I am on Pregabalin and it seems to be easing it just can’t feel my leg in certain places so I can hardly walk, it’s debilitating and leaves me in so much pain so I feel for anyone suffering with similar problems!!

out of curisoty have you ever seen a neurologist for this? if so what did they say? and if not then it sounds like something you need to be addressing with your doctors.

i am on gabapentin for nerve pain and it was recently increased following another illness which causes distressing pain. even though i take this i am still having problems and am looking to go back for some form of pain management.