Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Car tax refund query

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    30

    Car tax refund query

    Am picking up as new car on Mon 6th Nov ,am using the PCP method for finance as the figures for the car i want worked out a bit better than Mobility option.
    The car dealer has taxed the car ( the 1st. year cost was included in the repayment figures) , as i am eligible for free VED now ( granted high rate mobility) if i then apply for this refund who actually will the cheque be sent to,the dealer whose name i assume will be on the payment form maybe, or me as i will be the named owner ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,617
    I don't think Ved is transferable with the vehicle nowadays, check with the dealer to see if the application was made in your name.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks for the input.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    I don't think Ved is transferable with the vehicle nowadays, check with the dealer to see if the application was made in your name.
    Car tax, as you correctly say, is not transferrable so the tax would have been registered in your name and you should be able to apply for a refund and have the car Nil Disabled. I am not sure if you will get a full refund or a refund for the remaining 11 months?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Am picking up as new car on Mon 6th Nov ,am using the PCP method for finance as the figures for the car i want worked out a bit better than Mobility option.
    The car dealer has taxed the car ( the 1st. year cost was included in the repayment figures) , as i am eligible for free VED now ( granted high rate mobility) if i then apply for this refund who actually will the cheque be sent to,the dealer whose name i assume will be on the payment form maybe, or me as i will be the named owner ?
    HI

    Ive just done the same thing with my new car.

    I got the dealer to tax the car onto normal tax (like you say first year free), and ive just transferred it (once i received the v5) onto disabled road tax (free) at the post office. I then got a new v5 under the disabled catagory and a lovely road tax refund cheque in the post to put towards my insurance.
    Last edited by Shorty; 11-01-2017 at 08:24 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    358
    Think I got the remaining 11 months as my car is £500 to tax for its first year I didnt mind lol

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks for that good info ...what do i need to take to the Post Office and exactly what forms do i need to fill in, have been on the DVLA site but its a bit gobblydook to me !

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Thanks for that good info ...what do i need to take to the Post Office and exactly what forms do i need to fill in, have been on the DVLA site but its a bit gobblydook to me !
    Hi

    Simple just take your V5 document Licence and your proof of disabled road tax certificate to the post office and they will do it for you.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks for the info.
    Although i live in Wark's i found the best PCP deals going for the vehicle i wanted ( Ford Ecosport Automatic ) was with an outfit in Ipswich , John Grose Vehicles ltd, they do a delivery service as well.
    (Have no connection with them so not touting for buisness for the firm , just thought some may find their offers ok)

Similar Threads

  1. Tax refund?
    By OrangeSkies in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2017, 01:20 PM
  2. P800 tax refund while on Univ/credit
    By Almac1 in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2016, 08:06 AM
  3. Car tax refund
    By firebird in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-16-2016, 10:44 AM
  4. Changing car's early will i get a refund on AP
    By Mandyboops in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-22-2015, 02:57 PM
  5. Deposit refund?
    By lucylee2012 in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 11:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •