Thread: Car tax refund query

Car tax refund query

Am picking up as new car on Mon 6th Nov ,am using the PCP method for finance as the figures for the car i want worked out a bit better than Mobility option.
    The car dealer has taxed the car ( the 1st. year cost was included in the repayment figures) , as i am eligible for free VED now ( granted high rate mobility) if i then apply for this refund who actually will the cheque be sent to,the dealer whose name i assume will be on the payment form maybe, or me as i will be the named owner ?

I don't think Ved is transferable with the vehicle nowadays, check with the dealer to see if the application was made in your name.

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    I don't think Ved is transferable with the vehicle nowadays, check with the dealer to see if the application was made in your name.
    Car tax, as you correctly say, is not transferrable so the tax would have been registered in your name and you should be able to apply for a refund and have the car Nil Disabled. I am not sure if you will get a full refund or a refund for the remaining 11 months?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Am picking up as new car on Mon 6th Nov ,am using the PCP method for finance as the figures for the car i want worked out a bit better than Mobility option.
    The car dealer has taxed the car ( the 1st. year cost was included in the repayment figures) , as i am eligible for free VED now ( granted high rate mobility) if i then apply for this refund who actually will the cheque be sent to,the dealer whose name i assume will be on the payment form maybe, or me as i will be the named owner ?
    HI

Ive just done the same thing with my new car.

I got the dealer to tax the car onto normal tax (like you say first year free), and ive just transferred it (once i received the v5) onto disabled road tax (free) at the post office. I then got a new v5 under the disabled catagory and a lovely road tax refund cheque in the post to put towards my insurance.
    Last edited by Shorty; 11-01-2017 at 08:24 PM.

Think I got the remaining 11 months as my car is £500 to tax for its first year I didnt mind lol

Thanks for that good info ...what do i need to take to the Post Office and exactly what forms do i need to fill in, have been on the DVLA site but its a bit gobblydook to me !

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Thanks for that good info ...what do i need to take to the Post Office and exactly what forms do i need to fill in, have been on the DVLA site but its a bit gobblydook to me !
    Hi

Simple just take your V5 document Licence and your proof of disabled road tax certificate to the post office and they will do it for you.

Thanks for the info.
    Although i live in Wark's i found the best PCP deals going for the vehicle i wanted ( Ford Ecosport Automatic ) was with an outfit in Ipswich , John Grose Vehicles ltd, they do a delivery service as well.
    (Have no connection with them so not touting for buisness for the firm , just thought some may find their offers ok)