Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: my first universal credit payment

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    179

    my first universal credit payment

    hi , on 2nd of october i had to move so i had to claim UC at my new address..
    before i moved i was getting ESA/DLA i now have whats called a UC account that tells me how much im paid and when.
    this morning i recieved my first notification email of payment , it said i needed to log into my account to find out my payment details.
    i logged in and clicked on "payments" it said i would recieve one months rent £355 and one months UC £317..
    it said you will recieve this amount by 8pm on 9th of november.
    as im suppose to be getting LWCRA amount and my DLA i phoned the UC helpline number and asked them why i was only getting £317 pcm to live on?
    the lady at the helpline said she would email my "case manager" to get the SUPPORT GROUP element added on and i would get a payment update .
    i also asked about my DLA payment she said that was NOT part of UC and would be paid separately as normal (i thought pip/dla was part of your UC?) .
    she said that in your first payment of UC it can often happen the LWCRA bit has not been established in time.
    it also says on my "UC comitment" i will do everything i can to look for work? i will have to call again once this is sorted out to query what thats on there for?.
    i did get the impression when i had to attend 3different interveiws at my local JC that they didnt quite GRASP what LWCRA means.
    i told them at JC that i was in SG when on ESA and was now ment to be put in the LWCRA bit of UC , she said yes i know but im now wondering what she does know ?.
    im sure once i point out there mistake on my "UC commitment" i will get sent a UC50 to fill out and sent off again to be assessed.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    1,120
    They don't know their a*** from their elbow as my nan used to say

    PIP is one of the benefits separate from UC. That one is ****** up enough without UC intervention
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

  3. #3
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    4,801
    DLA/PIP is not an Income Related benefit and so stays outside of UC.

    You are correct that you should be getting a LCWRA element added to your UC from the date you transfered from ESA.

    I believe that there are 2 problems why this is not working correctly.

    Firstly I belive that there is a software problem.
    I've heard (unsubstantiated) that the initial UC software was not set up to accomplish ESA transfers so they have to 'fiddle' it to get the element added.
    And until they do that then your claimant commitment will also be inappropriate.

    This software shortcoming also seems to have something to do with why many of those transfering are being sent new UC50's.
    It seems the software does not like adding a Limited Capability element if you have not had a WCA under UC.
    Again they can fiddle it, but it's much easier for a lazy clerk just to send out a UC50.
    (Or maybe the clerk doesn't know how to fiddle it).

    From what I have heard (again unsubstantiated) the changes to the software to allow the LC element to be added to a transfer were scheduled to be made before 'Managed Migration' from ESA started.
    Which is prety useless for those having 'Natural Migration'.

    As I say these are just rumours, but knowing how software/programming works, especially when it's rushed out, it sounds very plausible to me.

    Secondly it's just poor training again.
    They are trained to work with UC 'Live Service' which was basically only for jobseekers, they have just got used to that when they get changed to 'Full Service' and don't get enough training to cover the differences.
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-02-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.


    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    DLA/PIP is not an Income Related benefit and so stays outside of UC.

    You are correct that you should be getting a LCWRA element added to your UC from the date you transfered from ESA.

    I believe that there are 2 problems why this is not working correctly.

    Firstly I belive that there is a software problem.
    I've heard (unsubstantiated) that the initial UC software was not set up to accomplish ESA transfers so they have to 'fiddle' it to get the element added.
    And until they do that then your claimant commitment will also be inappropriate.

    This software shortcoming also seems to have something to do with why many of those transfering are being sent new UC50's.
    It seems the software does not like adding a Limited Capability element if you have not had a WCA under UC.
    Again they can fiddle it, but it's much easier for a lazy clerk just to send out a UC50.
    (Or maybe the clerk doesn't know how to fiddle it).

    From what I have heard (again unsubstantiated) the changes to the software to allow the LC element to be added to a transfer were scheduled to be made before 'Managed Migration' from ESA started.
    Which is prety useless for those having 'Natural Migration'.

    As I say these are just rumours, but knowing how software/programming works, especially when it's rushed out, it sounds very plausible to me.

    Secondly it's just poor training again.
    They are trained to work with UC 'Live Service' which was basically only for jobseekers, they have just got used to that when they get changed to 'Full Service' and don't get enough training to cover the differences.
    thank for info , thats probaly whats going on.
    i thought it strange why i got a esa payment last week , and im getting a UC payment next week haa.
    im going to ring the esa number and see if im getting a esa payment next week with my UC ..computer says it dosnt know

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by David69 View Post
    They don't know their a*** from their elbow as my nan used to say

    PIP is one of the benefits separate from UC. That one is ****** up enough without UC intervention
    as nuke says there software seems to be substandard for the job

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    DLA/PIP is not an Income Related benefit and so stays outside of UC.

    You are correct that you should be getting a LCWRA element added to your UC from the date you transfered from ESA.

    I believe that there are 2 problems why this is not working correctly.

    Firstly I belive that there is a software problem.
    I've heard (unsubstantiated) that the initial UC software was not set up to accomplish ESA transfers so they have to 'fiddle' it to get the element added.
    And until they do that then your claimant commitment will also be inappropriate.

    This software shortcoming also seems to have something to do with why many of those transfering are being sent new UC50's.
    It seems the software does not like adding a Limited Capability element if you have not had a WCA under UC.
    Again they can fiddle it, but it's much easier for a lazy clerk just to send out a UC50.
    (Or maybe the clerk doesn't know how to fiddle it).

    From what I have heard (again unsubstantiated) the changes to the software to allow the LC element to be added to a transfer were scheduled to be made before 'Managed Migration' from ESA started.
    Which is prety useless for those having 'Natural Migration'.

    As I say these are just rumours, but knowing how software/programming works, especially when it's rushed out, it sounds very plausible to me.

    Secondly it's just poor training again.
    They are trained to work with UC 'Live Service' which was basically only for jobseekers, they have just got used to that when they get changed to 'Full Service' and don't get enough training to cover the differences.
    ive just called esa and there ALLSO paying me next week? . i didnt complicate it by telling esa i had moved (allthough i had already told them and they said they put a note on my file) but it now seems im going to get £317 from UC and £355 rent costs from UC , then im getting £251 from ESA on my usual day also i will get DLA from the disability ..
    so it seems the computers havnt been able to add my LWCRA and allso havnt closed down my ESA claim so i dont know if im being overpaid or underpaid ? and i dont know if i should leave it this month and see what happens next month.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,617
    Wait until you've actually got the money in your account and then sort it out, remember they haven't given it to you until you've received it and leave your DLA out of it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    Wait until you've actually got the money in your account and then sort it out, remember they haven't given it to you until you've received it and leave your DLA out of it.
    the guy ive just spoke to from ESA said its still showing live and will be set up to pay me at midnight tonight for next tuesday.
    but yes it could change but i think i will get the payments i said but i dont think i will be overpaid?
    £251 and £317 added together are £568 pcm so im not sure what my monthly payment for LWCRA/UC is but it must be around £568? so perhaps they are doing it this way till they can sort out the computers??

  9. #9
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    4,801
    As Jard says wait until it hits your bank, and check what your statement says.

    If they do overpay you they will want it back of course.
    If they do then ask them to take it bit by bit from your UC over 6 months rather than all at once.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.


    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    As Jard says wait until it hits your bank, and check what your statement says.

    If they do overpay you they will want it back of course.
    If they do then ask them to take it bit by bit from your UC over 6 months rather than all at once.
    yes thats the plan , but i dont think it will be an overpayment , infact its suspiciously near to what i would have got if it had been paid as it should have been , i think its there way around the computer issue for now

Similar Threads

  1. ESA and universal credit
    By jjmurphy123 in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2017, 07:55 AM
  2. Universal credit
    By kate h in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-16-2015, 09:47 PM
  3. Where are we at with the Universal Credit?
    By sea queen in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 11:12 AM
  4. More on Universal Credit
    By StueyR in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 10:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •