Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 week universal credit

6 week universal credit

Can anyone tell me wether at the end of the 6 weeks you get paid for 6 weeks or only for a fortnight

The payment for UC is monthly, some may be 4weekly and some 5weekly and there will be initial waiting days for a new claim, you will have to explain more about your circumstances regarding your claim to get a clearer picture. Keep your eyes peeled for a post from 'nukecad' he's very well gen'd up on the subject of UC, he may be around later on or early tomorrow.

As Jard says you would need to give a few more details about your claim.

Is it a new claim?, jobseeker or disabled?, maybe a transfer from an existing ESA claim?

To start you off there is a link in my signature below that deals with some UC stuff, mainly transfers from ESA. (click on the blue text).
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

can i ask a question..so new claims lose out on SDP..do you think at some point we will lose that too when we have migrated onto UC further down the line ? i am currently in esa SG..and get PIP..i am feeling stressed about the whole thing myself :/

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    can i ask a question..so new claims lose out on SDP..do you think at some point we will lose that too when we have migrated onto UC further down the line ? i am currently in esa SG..and get PIP..i am feeling stressed about the whole thing myself :/
    at the moment unless you have "a change in circumstances" you stay on your "current" benifits .
    when "they" move you over to UC in a few years time you will have your "old style" benifits protected.
    its just "new claims" of UC that dont get the SDP component and those that have been forced to claim UC because of change of address/circumstances (like me).
    i wasnt getting SDP just ESA/SG and lower rate DLA so i shouldnt loose any money.
    my first payment of UC is wendsday so im gonig to update my post then to try and keep people informed of how its going.

thanks so much druid,how unfair though,new claims can't have it,old claims keep it,i am not convinced it will stay that way,they will find a way to do away with it...such as when an assessment happens,a bit further down the line..it's about time they left the sick and disabled alone,it's a disgrace !!

..so new claims lose out on SDP..do you think at some point we will lose that too when we have migrated onto UC further down the line ?
    First off - Contribution Based ESA will not be transfered to UC.

If you are moved to UC now because of a change of circumstances means you have to make a new claim for an Income Related benefit (Natural Migration) then you will lose the SDP.
    There are no disability premiums payable with UC.

Currently only if you make a new claim for an IR benefit will that be UC, and if you are already claiming ESA that can only happen in a 'Full Service' UC area.

Not all changes of circumstance will mean making a new claim.
    The most common change of circumstances that would mean claiming UC is a house move and so making a new claim for UC housing element. (Housing Benefit).

However if/when you are moved to UC in future as part of the planned switch (Managed Migration) then there is 'Transitional Protection' that will mean your payments will stay the same as they were on ESA.
    (This is similar to the Transitional Protection given to those moving from IB to ESA).

So if you have SDP on Income Related ESA then the trick is not to have a change of circumstances that would mean you have to make a new claim for UC.
    In particular don't move house and make a claim for UC housing element.
    Hang on until the DWP transfer you over, that way you will stay on the same money when it does happen.
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-04-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

thanks so much druid,how unfair though,new claims can't have it,old claims keep it,i am not convinced it will stay that way,they will find a way to do away with it...such as when an assessment happens,a bit further down the line..it's about time they left the sick and disabled alone,it's a disgrace !!
    that is the trouble with UC we dont know ware it will end as they "tinker" with it in the future.
    they already seem to be loosing staff and have I.T issues , ware the problem seems to be is the I.T likes "stable" claims , but UC claims are not stable , there are lots of different "components" added to "a fluid" sittuation in the monthly cycle and I.T dosnt handle this very well.
    people are feeding in so many changes and different components the I.T is getting overloded , they say if 2 divorcies get together it has to be entered "manualy" into the system because the I.T cant get all the components together , then theres zero contracts and part time employment to add more chaosis it any wonder DWP staff are leaving or going sick?
    it would of been far better for UC to just do more "longterm" claims to start with, i certainly dont believe the "roll out" should of continued into the autum , but it seems the genrals want to press on , with no turning back and no surrender to the doubters of UC

Thanks nukecad,i am not moving house,unless i win the lotto (i can dream lol) it's all such a pain,i wished they would leave things alone,and stop this crap..i don't agree that we will have the housing benefit paid into our accounts,then we have to pay it onto the landlords,i might get tempted and spend it :P well i wouldn't do that,but some people might,so it makes life more difficult for people..bad idea that is in my opinion !!

i don't agree that we will have the housing benefit paid into our accounts,then we have to pay it onto the landlords,i might get tempted and spend it :P well i wouldn't do that,but some people might,so it makes life more difficult for people..bad idea that is in my opinion !!
    Supposedly that's all part and parcel, along with everything else they're doing, to help condition claimants for 'the world of work' and being responsible for themselves etc. A policy of sink or swim - some may say.