Thread: 50% Car Tax renewal

50% Car Tax renewal

If like myself you are entitled to the 50% reduction in VED, you will find the renewal notice is at the full rate (for my 03 Rover 45 1.8 £305 a year or six months £167.75)
    To save you time on the telephone, to renew you need to send to DVLA Swansea SA99 1DZ

1. V11 reminder notice
    2. V5 reg doc
    3. MoT
    4. PIP award letter
    5. Cheque to DVLA for 50% of the rate.

Processing time is 10 days but you will remain legal to drive.

Hi suffolkbobby. To get the 50% reduction in road tax for a 12 month, would you have to have 12 month or more on your PIP award remaining? Or could you get it with let"s say a few weeks remaining? Also if your PIP award was taken away, would you need to re-tax the vehicle at normal rate straight away? Ta.

To the best of my knowledge mooz, if the pip is in force at the date of application, then the 12 month VED would be assigned to your car but you may be required to produce a replacement.
    If however you failed to obtain another pip award, or lost entitlement, then you should re-tax the car from the date of pip expiry at the full rate minus the unused payment. that DVLA calculates.
    I'm sure someone better informed will correct me if I'm in error.

Quote Originally Posted by suffolkbobby View Post
    To the best of my knowledge mooz, if the pip is in force at the date of application, then the 12 month VED would be assigned to your car but you may be required to produce a replacement.
    If however you failed to obtain another pip award, or lost entitlement, then you should re-tax the car from the date of pip expiry at the full rate minus the unused payment. that DVLA calculates.
    I'm sure someone better informed will correct me if I'm in error.
    A complex procedure which could benefit from a review to make it steamlined

When my wife failed her PIP application and lost DLA, she received a generic letter that said something along the lines of "If you currently have a car taxed in the disabled tax class then you must re-tax as PLG" and referred to www.gov.uk/dvla for more information.