Thread: PIP When using Carers

PIP When using Carers

Hi - I've been on DLA for years and now moving over to PIP. I suffer from Muscular dystrophy.

I'm not 100% sure how to answer questions when it asks how long to prepare food, what aids do i use etc when pretty much it's all done by my carers. The same goes for getting dressed and washing. Do I simply put task carried out by carer? Or should I elaborate and say that i can't lift pots and pans due to muscle wastage.

What I'm asking is will I be penalised if somebody else does these things for me?

Answer..you're not able to do those things due to your condition,your carer has to prepare meals for you,and wash/dress you,due to muscle wastage,it's not safe for you to do these thing for yourself...hope that helps

This is a useful guide to completing your PIP form. Be sure to click on all the boxes.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be.../fill-in-form/

You can answer truthfully as to whether you use aids but explain in the other information box the aids you cannot use and why. This is because they will expect you to use aids (even if you don't) if it is reasonable for you to do so. You need to explain why you don't use them. This should be done for every aid that is available for that particular task.

Your carers can also write a letter as part of your evidence explaining what they do, how often and why. You can also include your care plan.

You will not be penalised for having a carer. It should be helpful as you have been assessed as needing that support.

Hi my daughter also has support workers to cook for her and help with personal care - I sent a copy of her Personal Care Plan which her support agency has done.
    If you have a folder with a care plan in at home copy and send it along with your own information.
    Sea Queen

Thanks all. All filled in.

I've looked around, is there any reason why this isn't an optionl online form like the old DLA forms where you could fill it all in via the Government Gateway. This paper method seems a step backwards for those of us that are happy enough to complete online forms and upload documents.

Quote Originally Posted by mesittinghere View Post
    Thanks all. All filled in.

I've looked around, is there any reason why this isn't an optionl online form
    I can't write but can type slowly using one hand or voice recognition software.

The DWP don't do an editable PDF version due to the data protection act. However they don't mind you answering the questions in Word as long as each page has your name and NI Number at the top. Send that and the signed form back to them by registered post.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    However they don't mind you answering the questions in Word as long as each page has your name and NI Number at the top. Send that and the signed form back to them by registered post.
    That's what I've done.