Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDS due to make benefit speech later

davewhit

IDS due to make benefit speech later

IDS due to speak later about people with drink and drug problems... main thing could be ESA only paid if your getting treatment

at present 40,000 people getting esa due to drink problems no mention on news on number getting esa for drugs

I may agree with this, in principle.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    I may agree with this, in principle.
    I am not sure there are people on ESA and DLA who might be able to do more if they tried different treatments, but there are risks to having treatments so up till now people have been able to make a judgement call based on known side affects and how they feel they would manage .............. IF you say people with drink and drug health issues MUST have treatment why not people with other health problems do you make them try different drugs too ?

Depends what the treatment is for drugs & alcohol abuse. Why should they be allowed to claim if they do not even try to clean themselves up? There are many people who are genuinely disabled who cannot claim. People who cause such problems for themselves do need help, but they have to accept it & not just get a free ride, & benefits designed for real disabled people who did not have a choice. You cannot compare treatments for the two like that, it is unrealistic & insulting to truly disabled people.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

The difference between a truly disabled person and a self choice addict is huge. Many of the 'problems' that alcoholics blame for their drinking are trivial compared with someone who has been 150% fit all their life and suddenly find themselves unable physically to do anything. This situation can and does lead to mental health problems such as depression, social isolation because of embarresment over the effects of treatment, incontinence etc. Many disabled people are already undergoing treatment and have been 'guinea pigged' with different medications over the years, until a suitable one if found. Whereas most drug addicts and many alcoholics refuse outright any form of treatment. My personal feelings on this issue are very strong. Drug addicts or alcoholics are not disabled and should be forced to undergo rehab if necessary. The 'system' categorised them as such when care in the community was first implemented and many of the psychiatric units with rehab sections were closed down. This left them on the streets without any form of help or treatment from already overstretched and reduced budget social services.

Have to agree IMHO alcoholics and drug addicts are not and should not be classed as disabled

The problem with forcing anyone to do anything is that it rarely works. I am not opposed to them getting benefits, but not because they are alcoholics or dug addicts. What I am not happy about is that these people are using their DLA or ESA, & other benefits to buy alcohol & drugs. They then get worse, have serious health, emotional, mental & social problems, & they get paid even more. It is a vicious cycle. Why should they get a free ride when we do not? We are about to go through hoops, facing an impossible obstacle course to get benefits for disabled people. Are they? If you look at the PIP criteria & ESA you can see they should not get those benefits. Will the get them, will they get a free pass?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

The whole problem of self-inflicted harm through drink, drugs & excessive eating needs to be looked at BUT no UK government will ever seriously try and solve the problem only punish those on the lower rungs of the ladder.
    Personally I don't agree with drink/drug addicts or overly fat people being treated as disabled. They have a choice.

With drink & drugs I agree. However, many overweight people have conditions that causes this. This can lead to other conditions too. The problem is that overweight people are stigmatised, even by doctors. I have proved I an not overweight through eating too much, or eating the wrong foods. I have shown-as a former chef-that my diet should mean I lose weight, yet I do not. I am on drugs that cause weight gain, yet I am treated like a fat git that eats fatty foods & stuffs my face.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Stephen, I fully appreciate the stigma that goes with being overweight & do not mean to cast any aspersions. I know personally how some treatments can cause a person to balloon out and at the same time have a seriously reduced appetite.
    Unfortunately though it's a very sad fact that an increasing amount of people simply allow themselves to get in a very unhealthy position.
    Perhaps it one of the penalties of living in a Tourist area but during the summer-time ones eyes are assaulted by whole families of very overweight families & it's a very sad fact that often the, sometimes very young children, are even bigger than their parents.