Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New sick note

New sick note

I’m still waiting to hear back about my ESA MR and just got a 2month sick note from my doctor, this might sound stupid but where do I send it?I have only ever had to send one as that was an indefinite one. I was told to apply for JSA or UC I didn’t because I can’t cope with the stress of signing on again. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DD91 View Post
    I’m still waiting to hear back about my ESA MR and just got a 2month sick note from my doctor, this might sound stupid but where do I send it?I have only ever had to send one as that was an indefinite one. I was told to apply for JSA or UC I didn’t because I can’t cope with the stress of signing on again. Thanks
    If you haven't applied for JSA or UC whilst waiting for the MR then you keep hold of the fit note.

If your MR does not reverse the decision then you can appeal to the tribunal. Once the appeal has been accepted then you can return to ESA on the assessment rate. This is when you send your fit note so that you can receive your back pay to when your ESA stopped. You will need fit notes for the period from when your ESA stopped all the way up to when a decision is made by the tribunal or your MR is successful.

That’s great thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DD91 View Post
    That’s great thank you
    You need to send your fit note in now and if you win at MR or tribunal your money will be backdated from now if you wait for the result of your MR you will lose money.You would only keep a hold of your fit note if you were claiming JSA or UC.Just call them and they will give you the address.

I’m even more confused ????????*??

If you applied for JSA or UC they wouldn't owe you money because you would have got paid while waiting for your MR but as you don't have any income if you hand in fit notes proving you were still sick while wating for you MR then they will owe you money if you win back your esa

This is what the Turn2us website says (well respected organisation)

Benefits whilst appealing an ESA decision
    If you appeal against an ESA decision, you can ask to be paid ESA whilst you await the decision. You don't need to make a fresh claim for ESA.
    You must continue to provide medical certificates (fit notes) whilst you are getting ESA.
    If you have backdated medical certificates (fit notes) to cover the mandatory reconsideration period, then ESA can now be paid for that period as well. This doesn't apply if you claimed another benefit such as Jobseeker's Allowance or Income Support during the reconsideration period so received an equivalent amount of benefit.
    Updated September 2017

My thoughts are you do not need to send in fit notes now as you are not actually claiming ESA (I agree with the above!) but if you are worried then give them a call.

That basically says what I said but instead of needing to send in backdated fit notes you would be handing in fit notes just now.Yes you are not claiming esa just now but you are disputing an esa decision so you can send in the fit notes now to cover you while waiting on the MR decision.

Either way is equally valid.

You could send it now, or hold onto it until you ask to go back on ESA during appeal.

Pros / Cons.

If you send it now they have already have it and so culd backpay for the MR period a bit more quickly once you are back on ESA.
    If you send it now they may lose it, or say they never got it.
    If you hold onto it they can't lose it, but you might yourself.
    If you send it once you have asked to go back on ESA then its fresh in their minds, but it may take a little longer to process because of the postal times.
    (And they may still say they never got it).

Up to you, but whichever you do make a copy before you mail it, and take it to the PO counter and ask for (at least) free proof of posting.

Instead of posting it you could take it down to your jobcentre, either now or later, and ask them to scan it onto the system from there.
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-13-2017 at 06:01 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.

Thanks everyone I’m not sure what I’m going to do yet, my mums phoning tomorrow to ask for an update about the MR, so will see what they say