Thread: Newbie With Back Problems!!

Newbie With Back Problems!!

Hey,
    I’m new to all this but thought I’d sign up to get some advice and share my story.......
    I have degenerative disc disease, suffer with severe sciatica and I’ve got bipolar and PTSD.
    I have had a nightmare with the NHS and can’t find any private doctors that will refer me to the NHS after an initial consultation as they just don’t do NHS work anymore, I’ve had all the scans, been on a residential 4 week input program at St. Thomas hospital, I’m getting my wheelchair hopefully soon (it’s being made for me by AJM wheelchair services), I’ve been waiting for yet another referral letter to another pain management department and I’m getting nowhere!!
    I have recently been rushed to hospital and spent 19 hours there and got sent home with some co- dyradmol which we thought was a joke!! I’m in absolute agony, can’t go out the house as my right leg has gone totally dead, I wet myself on a regular basis and I’m only 35 years old so I’m finding this all so hard!!
    I have had this for 5 years now and have been told I’m too young to have any back surgery - why???? I’m 35 and in absolute agony.

I’m excited about getting my wheelchair but wondered if anyone had any advice for a new time user???

Also if anyone had any advice on incontinence as I haven’t been offered any support??

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Ouch! Back pain is brutal!
    I hope your new chair comes yesterday! When it does get out as much as poss. Try and do something every day,even if it's just a wee thing.
    I've got MS so walk like drunk bambi! I wouldn't be without my chair now. The only thing I can't do that I did before is steps. Most places are chair friendly too,pubs,restaurants and places like that. Same with buses,taxis,trams and trains too. You'll love the freedom it gives you back.

Thank you for your reply and advice!

I’m hoping to get my chair soon but it’s being made by a company called AJM wheelchair services, I’m not sure what this company is like on waiting times for wheelchairs but fingers crossed it’s soon as I’m dying to go back to work and get my independence back.

It’s so frustrating just watching the world go by as I’m sat at home doing very little as I can’t walk properly - need this chair ASAP!

I use tena protective shield for incontinence. Develop a thick skin and remember, while people are talking about you, they're talking about no-one else.

Thank you for your advice!

I’ll have a look for those tena’s, I’m using always discreet maxi pads atm but still have accidents.

Is it difficult manoeuvring a new chair?
    Any advice on do’s and dont’s?
    I’m not a small woman so I’d it harder to push the chair if your overweight?

I am losing weight atm so, slimming world is great!! I lost 5 stone with their diet plan but unfortunately put it all back on again recently due to lack of mobility and also feeling sorry for myself so eating lots to make myself feel better.
    It’s such a vicious cycle!!