Thread: How far into my new style ESA claim do I need to be to qualify for NHS dentristy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question How far into my new style ESA claim do I need to be to qualify for NHS dentristy?

Can it be during the fit note stage or do I have to wait for an award?

NHS charges have nothing to do with ESA, it all depends if your income is low enough to qualify, fill in the form (HC1, I think) at your local chemist or dentist.

If you are on ESA Income Related ie means tested - then yes you qualify for free NHS dentistry. prescriptions etc. Simply ask the DWP - via their phone help line for an up to date 'Proof of Benefit Letter'. The DWP telephony advisor should do this whilst you are still on the phone and will print and post it to you - second class - the same day. The letter will state that you are on ESA (IR) and you simply show this to the surgery receptionist tp prove your entitlement to free treatment. The letters are current for three months only I think. You may want to check this with your dentist. Please note that if you are on ESA Contributory you will NOT qualify for help - but may qualify if you go down the HC1 Form route as suggested by Jard.

Quote Originally Posted by scullabogue View Post
    If you are on ESA Income Related ie means tested - then yes you qualify for free NHS dentistry. prescriptions etc. Simply ask the DWP - via their phone help line for an up to date 'Proof of Benefit Letter'. The DWP telephony advisor should do this whilst you are still on the phone and will print and post it to you - second class - the same day. The letter will state that you are on ESA (IR) and you simply show this to the surgery receptionist tp prove your entitlement to free treatment. The letters are current for three months only I think. You may want to check this with your dentist. Please note that if you are on ESA Contributory you will NOT qualify for help - but may qualify if you go down the HC1 Form route as suggested by Jard.
    The hospital i have claimed travel expenses from told me it's 12mths, unless that is their own policy

Just to point out - 'New Style' ESA is always Contribution Based, it does not automatically qualify you for Health Costs.

You may still qualify on low income grounds but have to apply for that seperately using the HC1 as previously advised.

'New Style' ESA is Contribution Based ESA that has been claimed in a Full Service UC area.
    It can only ever be claimed as a new CB claim in a Full Service UC area, it is not something that you can be transfered to.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here.