Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manchester Airport Accessibility Expo 2017 - Wed 22 November '17

That's if there is an airbridge, where I usually fly to and from there are no airbridges so I have to be loaded via the Ambulift.
    Pre boarding doesn't always work, there are times when I have been one of the last to board although at the actual gate my boarding card and passport is usually scanned and checked before anyone else's so I am ready to go as soon as the assistance turns up.

Lighttouch, How long is it since you last flew as your comments appear to be slightly outdated. Did you know that one has to pass through full body scanners now instead of the outdated detection arches. Disabled or not shoes have to be scanned separately and your whole body is run over with the hand scanner as well as a full body pat down. On the 5th November even my new knee was picked up and I had to show the scar as proof. Wheelchairs ,walking frames etc are swabbed and the swab put through a separate machine that detects anything untoward.
    Security is extremely high and the checks rigorous.
    Security is very much tighter than you suggest.

I think I read in the paper a couple of weeks ago that Manchester airport was in the bottom 4 in the country for disabled assistance and they have been given a warning to get their act together.Saying that we use wheelchair assistance and have never had a problem.I always book assistance when booking our holiday.

I must admit it was 3 years ago when I flew to Cyprus from Manchester. I can't remember how many security checks I had but it didn't seem many in comparison to there passengers. I'll be able to tell you what's on offer from Manchester after this Wednesday.

I was abroad at the time of 9/11 - security was really tight days after that.

LT, if you went through security at an airport now I can assure you it is very different to what it was 3 years ago.
    Very very tight doesn't come into it. Speaking from experience, I have flown 6 times this year up to present. Unfortunately I won't be doing it again until at least March next year because I have a foot operation coming up next week so flying is banned for 3 months afterwards.

Barbiejane, I seem to remember that report about Manchester and wasn't at all surprised. I wonder if that is why they have arranged Expo 2017.