Thread: Not sure where to get help.

Question Not sure where to get help.

Short version:

I was working and now I can't due to chronic pain. I have learnt a new skill and have people willing to pay me for it but I need money (£1644) for software licensing and don't know where to find help.

Long version:
    I have nerve damage in my feet and am in pain most of the time. I can't walk without a stick and I'm not with it most of the time due to the painkillers I'm taking. My wife, daughter and myself were almost out of the debt we got into when last xmas, the day before christmas eve I lost my job on medical grounds.

Since then I have been training myself sometimes 13+ hours a day in 3D art using a free student licence and tutorials found on YouTube and the like. I've now found a great group of people making a game but I need licenced software to be able to work with them. I can also make and sell things myself online if I have the software. I need a whopping £1644 for the licence for one year. I have a gofundme with a few people helping but I still need more money for this software. Are there any grants, 0% loans available to help with things like this? I will not get another loan the usual way as we've been working so hard to get ourselves out of debt and I can't risk falling down that rabbit hole again.

Any advice where I can find some financial help with this would be very much appreciated?

TIA
    David

Shameless plug for my GoFundMe Hope this is okay

If you plan to work as a self employed person you might get lucky with the Government's 'Access to Work' support.

It's a self-referral scheme that initially starts with you phoning them and telling them what you need.

As you have been a student get a NUS and and this will entitle you to educational discount off software/hardware.

Also check out if there are any 'FAB LABS' local to you as you can use their 3D Software and 3D printers

I assume that you have costed whether you will make or lose money in this game design venture, so won't go into all the pitfalls.

Does it realy need to be Autodesk 3dsMax?

Autodesk Maya is comparable, in fact in some cases it is preferable 3dsMax.

You can transfer scenes and data between the two programmes.
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...ice-versa.html

The subscription for Maya full version is the same at £1,644/year, but depending on just what you need to start with then you can get Maya LT for £258/year, a huge difference and most of the tools needed for game development are still there in the LT version.
    (Your crowdfund has almost reached a years subscription for Maya LT).
    https://www.autodesk.co.uk/products/maya-lt/overview
    https://www.autodesk.co.uk/compare/maya-vs-maya-lt

Looking online many who have been using 3dsMax student version go on to buy Maya LT for commercial work.

You might need Mudbox as well, depending on what you are rendering, but that's only £12/month (or £90/year).

In fact if you want to specialize in 3D Modeling for Game Design then Mudbox may be all you need.
    https://www.autodesk.com/products/mudbox/overview

Maybe you should try out the 30 day trial of Maya LT and a one month subscription to Mudbox to see if they do what you need.

Comparison of 3dsMax and Maya:
    Where Maya Shines
    Maya's proprietary scripting language MEL is highly customizable, and that is one reason why Maya can be found a lot in the film industry because studios like to be able to create their own set of tools that can help them achieve their job much easier. Maya has really been know as the go-to app for 3D animators among the industry for its robust rigging and animation tools and its animator friendly workflow. You also have the choice of Maya LT which is a huge benefit among new game developers as it's a relatively cheap subscription cost, of course, you don't have access to as many of the features of the full version of Maya, but you still have the most important to a game designer, like modeling, animation and texturing.

Where 3ds Max Shines
    3ds Max has been known for its powerful modeling tools, allowing you to create complex 3D models with a very fast workflow and robust modifiers, with the entire poly modeling tools contained in one area of the UI. It also has some really great architectural visualization capabilities that Maya really doesn't have. If you're brand new to CG 3ds Max can be a little simpler to grasp, and can seem a little less daunting than Maya, making it a bit more user friendly.
    PS. I'm am/was a mechanical engineering designer and have Autodesk Autocad 2000i full version at home (that's also expensive these days); but at work we would use Autocad LT with no problems at all.
    Most of the advanced features in the full programme versions are hardly ever used, and can be achieved by a bit more work in the LT versions.

It's nice to have the full version of any software with all the bells and whistles, but they are not always needed and you can work perfectly well without them.
    Think how many commands and features in 3dsMax you have never used, and probably never will need.
    Why pay extra for stuff you won't be using? (That's a good way for a self employed business to go bust).
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-21-2017 at 02:39 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Does it realy need to be Autodesk 3dsMax?
    Yup it does. I have spent the last year or so learning 3DS max and the guys I'm working with have agreed that I should stick with Max so we have both tools available to us. Max has better modeling tools and our other artist uses Maya as it's rigging and animation tools are much better.

I've tried most 3D packages and Max wins hands down on speed and ease of modeling. I have student licences for several of them. So yes it needs to be 3DS max. I could use zbrush, 3D Coat, Blender, Mudbox, Modo and so on but it's not what I've learnt and it's not what I need.

Why pay extra for stuff you won't be using?
    I do use most of the features though not the architectural and Arnold stuff so much. Our other artist agrees with me that I should be using this software and he's been in the Indie Dev for a long time with a few titles and game jams under his belt.

You might need Mudbox as well, depending on what you are rendering
    We're not rendering anything the textures are hand painted by our other artist in 3D coat. Another bit of software I need but that can wait until the game is making money.

We're all self funded until we can release and we can't release without licenced software. We are Greenlit on steam and have thousands of followers on our twitch streams. When we have released the cost of the software will be fully refunded even though I will retain the licence.

Aside from the game I can start earning with Max right now selling assets. I've even been asked to make some but I can't as the things I make in the student version can't be used by anyone for profit.

Thanks for the advice but nope. I need Max
    Last edited by WaveDL; 11-21-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    If you plan to work as a self employed person you might get lucky with the Government's 'Access to Work' support.

It's a self-referral scheme that initially starts with you phoning them and telling them what you need.
    Thanks I'll look into this

As you have been a student get a NUS and and this will entitle you to educational discount off software/hardware.
    I'm not a "student" but have been using the free student licence to learn. There are no discounts unfortunately.

Also check out if there are any 'FAB LABS' local to you as you can use their 3D Software and 3D printers
    Nice idea but just not practical

I don't think Access to work will pay towards the software, unless you need special adaptations like speech, or eye tracking, controls:

You won’t get an Access to Work grant to pay for:

• changes that your employer has to make (reasonable adjustments)
    • items that would normally be needed to do the job whether a person is disabled or not
    • support that your employer used to provide but has stopped

These organisations give loans and grants and other help to (disabled) entrepreneurs, the first one in particular may be what you are looking for.
    http://www.disabledentrepreneurs.co.uk/
    http://www.fredericksfoundation.org/
    https://olibennett.com/

There are others out there many are age limited, most are for 18-30 year olds, although some are for over 50's.
    (Apparently people in their 40's don't need business help?).
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

These organisations give loans and grants and other help to (disabled) entrepreneurs, the first one in particular may be what you are looking for.
    http://www.disabledentrepreneurs.co.uk/
    http://www.fredericksfoundation.org/
    https://olibennett.com/
    Thanks I'll give them a look.

Apparently people in their 40's don't need business help?
    I know right!