Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIP - How far can you walk etc.

PIP - How far can you walk etc.

I am unsure what will happen to my DLA with changeover to PIP but my relative will I imagine have
    even more difficulty. For the past 3 years has suffered, after working 39 yrs. without a break Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Also some other problems but in the main CFA. This has been extremely severe as in bed for months and required complete care and unable to move even a couple of steps. It gets a little better and then back to square one for months. Now how would she answer how far she can walk and questions like that? Absolutely unable to walk at all when bedridden but if a period with improvement she can walk unaided. Her GP had sent a supporting letter when applying for DLA that there was no way she would be able to attend a DWP medical so the DWP Dr. visited her at home. After the first award of 2 yrs. she has an indefinite award which stands for nothing now but DLA forms, complicated as they were let you explain conditons but from what I read PIP will be entirely different, more black and white eg Can you walk......yds. or can you not. What or earth is happening to all in the disabled community?

If she has an indefinite award for DLA she won't be tested for PIP until anywhere between Oct 2013 to April 2016 - so don't worry.

When assessed for PIP there are some grey areas about how far you can walk to be included in the top rate of mobility - check this out . . .

If an individual is not able to move less than 50 meters without severe pain, they might be assessed as needing a wheelchair to be able to do so-even if they do not actually use one-and as such be entitled to the enhanced rate of the Mobility componenet. This would of course depend on a detailed assesment of their circumstances."

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Dora1 View Post
    I am unsure what will happen to my DLA with changeover to PIP but my relative will I imagine have
    even more difficulty. For the past 3 years has suffered, after working 39 yrs. without a break Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Also some other problems but in the main CFA. This has been extremely severe as in bed for months and required complete care and unable to move even a couple of steps. It gets a little better and then back to square one for months. Now how would she answer how far she can walk and questions like that? Absolutely unable to walk at all when bedridden but if a period with improvement she can walk unaided. Her GP had sent a supporting letter when applying for DLA that there was no way she would be able to attend a DWP medical so the DWP Dr. visited her at home. After the first award of 2 yrs. she has an indefinite award which stands for nothing now but DLA forms, complicated as they were let you explain conditons but from what I read PIP will be entirely different, more black and white eg Can you walk......yds. or can you not. What or earth is happening to all in the disabled community?
    there are cases and its wrote about on B&W and other web sites when mobility award will be stopped or not given if there is no benefit to the award ..... in pip my reading is if she cant walk 50% of the time she gets the award

I think the best thing to do now, for anyone in this situation - or anyone who has similar concerns about variability in their condition - is to start to keep a diary. And the sooner the better. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or detailed. Just a daily note - with the date each day of course - and a couple of words would do. 'Couldn't get up all day' or 'Got up for an hour - too much pain' kind of thing.
    People who have computer access - or whose carer or a relative could do it - might find that building up a spreadsheet could give a clearer picture.

I don't know if this is any help but my doctor has told me that as I have been prescribed and supplied a NHS wheelchair I should simply state that I rely on my wheelchair to move around. Even though some days I can actually walk unfortunately though always in pain.

You have to be careful though Tinker. I see what you are saying, but you could also be seen as making a false claim. I think in your case you are covered if you word it correctly. You cannot walk a certain distance without severe pain or discomfort, without the use of a wheelchair. Actually, that would cover me too. Now I think about it & it would be the truth. I cannot get to the park on foot, I could in a wheelchair. I cannot get to my local shops or doctor on foot, but could in a wheelchair. I cannot get to the supermaket on foot or by bus, but could in a wheelchair (If I could get on the bus that is). I use taxis. Why do I use taxis? Because I cannot walk the distances needed from A to B. That is not lying, is it, it is not making a false claim? The problem is that I do not use a wheelchair, so does that mean it would be a false claim?
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I think it is pointless to speculate on PIP at this point in time.
    Lets' be honest, we all know DLA has been seriously abused in the past and it's this abuse that has led to the present attitude us genuine claimants have to be put through.
    I saw a stand up comedian the other night echoeing the sentiment of the general public that most BB parking was used by those with no mobility issues at all, and I agree.

We have to speculate as for many it is about to start. This is a huge change for disabled people & it is causing a lot of worry & concern.

I do not agree on BBs, I feel that the figure for false use is high, but that the majority are genuinely used correctly.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

davewhit
    The problem with any claim be it PIP DLA or ESA ... when filling in the form or mind set is how do I tell them whats wrong with me but make sure I get the award I feel is correct ... we all do it we all think we should get higher higher and ESA support. This mind set wont change till DWP change there mind set from ......... no one is sick and no one needs DLA or PIP. If it was transparent that the service was fair and people where treated with resepect and if turned down proper reasons given the system would work better.

When i fill in a form I give them chapter and verse regarding everything that is wrong with from the major to the minor . I also give them a typical day in my life not a bad day or a good day a usual day ..Good days hmm i remember them very mistily though its been that long since i had one .