Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article in today's Guardian

I accepted you as a friend, i hope you saw that!.

Yes, thanks Jan! Glad that YA is useful for your husvand even though he is unable to post directly.

All the best

Mr B

Well MR B - it was wonderful to read your post today- and very timely too. Despite not having my review date for 3 years I tend to slip in and out of despair thinking about the future. I get down, then bounce back - then I see another headline and crash again! It was very refreshing to read your viewpoint- even though I'm better tonight I know I'll lapse into too much thinking again soon!
    But you are right- we can all be here for each other- we're all going to face things at some point- and who knows the rules and regs and even the Government could change again - it wouldn't surprise me one bit!
    I'm more or less just doing a brief scan of the papers nowadays- any nonsense and I'm just ignoring it- as are many others too I believe!!!
    But I just wanted you to know how much I appreciated reading your views earlier- it did help!

Hi Cathycat

Many thanks for your kind comments, I do appreciate them and am glad my post helped you. I ought to add that, like most of us, I sometimes have my moments too regarding these vile proposals, although fortunately I don't despair as such.

... even though I'm better tonight I know I'll lapse into too much thinking again soon!

I think we all do Cathycat but at least you've recognised it "too much thinking" and so can, if you wish, notice that when it next happens you don't have to over-identify with whatever you're thinking at the time and know that eventually those thoughts will change as thoughts always do. I'm not going to develop my views regarding this too much here as this would involve discussing "spiritual" and philosophical ideas outside the scope of a benefits forum, however what I would stress is that my approach and attitude to the welfare "reforms" is very far from a complacent "burying my head in the sand" type approach. Very much the reverse in fact as I find that the more I "protect" myself from the worst aspects of Doom and Gloom thinking - and the Doom and Gloom merchants who induce it in others - the MORE rather than less able am I to deal with whatever life throws at me, whether to do with benefits or anything else!

All the best

Mr B
    Last edited by mrb; 02-16-2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: punctuation

Very true.
    I guess it's trying to find that balance between keeping ourselves informed- but not scaring ourselves witless at same time!

Yes, and avoiding sources of misinformation and bigotry. I recall a man posting on a disability forum (possibly YA) saying that he was following one of the TV benefit "cheat" type series but that it distressed him greatly and he had become afraid to go out in case someone falsely accused him of benefit fraud! I posted back to enquire why was it necessary for him to continue watching this series when it upset him so much and why not simply stop watching it? Some may say it's not always as simple as that - but it can be!
    Last edited by mrb; 02-18-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: improved wording