Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article in today's Guardian

DLF Staff

Article in today's Guardian

Thought people might be interested in discussing this article in today's Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...t-cuts-despair

DLF team

I would lose my home.

My initial response is that my husbands granddad, died in his 50's of complications due to MS, he never received a penny from the state and was kept, with great difficulty by his wife and my father in law,he was bedridden for years, are we heading back to all this? i hope someone See's sense soon.
    Last edited by saintjanet; 02-14-2011 at 11:02 PM.

'Life not worth living' for disabled people facing benefit cutsCampaigners say government plans to end automatic right to state support for independent living is causing many to despair

My initial feeling about this story is one of sadness for Ella, but speaking for myself as a disabled person "facing benefit cuts" I cannot say that I feel that my life is not woth living because of the proposed benefit cuts, and I certainly don't have the slightest intention of ending my life if my benefits are cut. This should not in any way be taken as a lack of compassion, or empathy, for someone like Ella who tells us that this is what she feels but I personally think that there can be a danger that articles like this, although useful in highlighting how SOME disabled people are feeing about proposed benefit changes, can actually increase, without intending to of course, the difficulties we as disabled people may face by adding to the despair that some are already feeling about the proposed cuts. it is of course morally repugnant, and a disgrace, that this Government (and indeed the previous one) seems to enjoy nothing more than giving benefit claimants, and in particular sick and disabled benefit claimants, a good kicking, but I for one will NEVER despair over what our vile politicians say they will do!

I think that we as disabled benefit claimants should understand and support those of us who DO feel despair over what's happening but I personally will do nothing to "encourage" a despairing disabled benefit claimant to think that taking their own life is a valid solution to thier predicament. I ought to add that I don't speak from any ivory tower regarding this, I'm a disabled benefit claimant too and no more immune from the proposed changes than anyone else. Additionally I've suffered from depression and have, in my time, felt suicidal. Members of my own family have taken ovewrdoses and one took her own life.

In conclusion I feel that against this current background of doom and gloom, which by no means just affects benefits claimants, I wish to affirm that life IS worth living DESPITE these proposed benefit changes. As far as I know I've only got this one life and I most definitely am not going to end it because of the vile idiots in Westminister!

Kind regards - and avoiding doom and gloom at all costs!

Mr B

Very well put Mr B, most eloquently said, i hope others take the point of your post, it is certainly not worth considering suicide, i hope my husband can take comfort from your remarks.

Best Regards, Janet

Thanks Janet. Not sure if your husband is a YA member but if not he'd be very welcome to join.

All the best

Mr B

instead of taxing the disabled because lets face it if you have been on ib for a good number of years and your obviously disabled. ie making the ones that say oh i have a bad back etc i cant work kick them off the IB etc. also tax all these fat cat bankers that are on 9 million pounds bonus a year and the mps that are living it up with the expense claims. that should save a hell of a lot of money a year. ive been disabled since birth in some ways i dont look it but its more of a inside thing. some days i can barely get out of bed for tiredness (lol and i do mean true tiredness Not laziness. (sleep appnea) amongst other things. if your born disabled then your not likely to change are you. but these atos and dwp and goverment dont see that.
    id go protest but then the goverment would say you can protest so why cant you work

id go protest but then the goverment would say you can protest so why cant you work

I wouldn't let that deter you from protesting Chris as whatever we do, or don't do, our non-esteemed leaders will still say that we're perfectly capable of work - ably assisted by their pals in the media of course!

I see the article thats mentioned yesterday and its such a shame.

Yes it as passed my mine more then once like today even. Thats because of stupid rules and miunderstanding between depts. Going to leave a seperate post on that.

If they stop my IB and others then we have enough Capital to last around 18 Months plus we can sell the Bungalow? The Bungalow is our nest egg but at this time we dont want to move.

TD

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Thanks Janet. Not sure if your husband is a YA member but if not he'd be very welcome to join.

All the best

Mr B
    No, sadly he, has no interest in posting due to his illness.He first used a computer in the 1980's and used to teach others in his job,it's sad how things change, that's why, i am always asking questions on his behalf, difficult at times working full time.I accepted you as a friend, i hope you saw that!.

Best Regards, Jan
    Last edited by saintjanet; 02-16-2011 at 10:52 AM.