Thread: Esa

Esa

Hi I am in a universal credit area and have been claiming it for over a year whilst working part-time.

More recently I have been off sick for 23 weeks and an unlikely to be returning for a while if at all.

As far as I can understand I now need to make the claim for ESA

I'm just a bit confused on how to do this whilst on Universal Credit

Can anyone give me a bit of advice on the procedure to follow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu975 View Post
    Hi I am in a universal credit area and have been claiming it for over a year whilst working part-time.

More recently I have been off sick for 23 weeks and an unlikely to be returning for a while if at all.

As far as I can understand I now need to make the claim for ESA

I'm just a bit confused on how to do this whilst on Universal Credit

Can anyone give me a bit of advice on the procedure to follow

Thanks
    You may be entitled to contribution based ESA (called 'new style' ESA) if you meet the conditions. These will depend on your NI contributions during the last two complete tax years before January (the beginning of the benefit year) It is quite complicated so would help if you could tell us if you were working during the tax years 2014/2015 and 2015/2016 and how many hours.

New style ESA is outside of the Universal Credit remit so you would have to claim this separately if you think you are eligible.

If you are also receiving the housing element of UC then you would have two claims going. One for new style ESA and one for UC.

I am presuming that your doctor will give you a fit note?

If you know that you are not eligible for new style ESA then you would just present a fit note to the Job Centre. Depending on your condition they may then waive work related activities or adjust your work related activities. If this is long term then they should eventually give you an assessment to see which conditionality group you are placed in. The procedure is very much like being on the old style ESA (or should be!)

I will try to find a link which shows the conditions for contribution based ESA.

This seems to be a reasonable explanation of the conditions for contribution based ESA (new style ESA)

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/em...ribution-based

Up until this sickness period which began 3rd July I was working 19.5 hours a week and paying a small amount of national insurance, and have done so for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu975 View Post
    Up until this sickness period which began 3rd July I was working 19.5 hours a week and paying a small amount of national insurance, and have done so for many years.
    OK, so perhaps we'd better start again.

If you were working why were you claiming Universal Credit?

What are your personal circumstances? Single/partner/children/ renting/own house?

The answers to Pmlindyloo's questions will allow us to give advice for your particular circumstances, so please answer those.

I'll add another few:

Has your employer been paying you SSP?
    After 28 weeks your employer no longer has to pay SSP, is this why you are now looking at ESA?
    Have you been sending copies of your fit-notes to Universal Credit?

The more you can tell us the more we can help. (Although I realise you may not know just what information is most relevant).

For now though here are some general notes.

If/when your employer stops paying SSP then you inform UC and your UC payment should be increased to take account of this.
    You will need to send copies of your fit-notes to UC.

If you have been sending fit-notes to UC for more than 14 days then you should be refered for a Work Capability Assessment to determine if you have Limited Capibility for Work / Work Related Activities.
    If you do have Limited Capability then your UC claim will be changed to reflect this. (You may get extra money).

If you also believe that you have made enough NI contributions to qualify for New Style ESA then you should also apply for this.
    You do this by ringing the UC claim line.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-styl...port-allowance

If you claim both new style ESA and UC, your new style ESA payment will be deducted from your UC payment.

If you claim both new style ESA and UC you will only need one WCA to cover both.

Like I say those are general notes; the more you can tell us about your particular circumstance the better we can advise you.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for your help so far, I will try and explain my circumstances clearly

I am single 35 with no kids and live alone renting privately.

I have a long term health condition so have worked part time for many years, for a year or so I claimed a very small amount of housing benefit and when universal credit came to my area I was advised to apply for that instead

So I was able to claim universal credit but again a very small amount.
    In the interview for this they asked why I was not working full time and I explained about my health issues and they marked me as having a health condition and therefore not having to find extra work.

I have been on long term sick 23 weeks since the 3rd July, and my universal credit has been increased as my salary went down, firstly receiving company sick pay and now SSP.

I have not been sending sick notes to UC and only to my employer so I'm concerned now that I should also have done so UC.

My SSP is due to run out early January and I then wish to apply for ESA.

Hope that makes sense

I'm also looking to apply for PIP but as far as I'm aware that is completely separate to universal credit

That's all about what I had assumed with the work situation.

You should continue sending your fit notes to your employer for the time being, and they will continue to pay SSP. (and your UC will also continue).

At the 23rd week for which your employer has to pay SSP then your employer will give you a form called an SSP1 which tells you what you should do next.
    Which is basically to ring the jobcentre, you will need to send the SSP1 to the jobcentre so keep it safe.
    Example SSP1.

Whether you personally are approaching the 28 weeks yet will depend if the company sick pay contained an SSP element or not.
    Some companies claim it from the government and include it in the company sick pay, some companies don't bother claiming it until your company sick pay ends.
    (For instance when I got to ill too work I got 3 months company sick pay, followed by the full 28 weeks SSP).

So basically you wait now until you get the SSP1 from your employer, and then contact the jobcentre.
    When you do contact the JC make sure that you keep telling them you want to claim New Style ESA as well as your current UC.
    You'll probably have to keep telling them or they will just process it as all UC, because that's easier for them to do.

TBH the fact that you already have a UC claim running should make things a lot easier all round.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-07-2017 at 04:50 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks so much, that makes complete sense now, appreciate the help