Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESA claim

sounds like he is in the work related activity group (WRAG), if he is moved to SG there should be a rise in his esa about £6xx and also the enhanced disability premium (EDP) of about £15xx per week.

if he gets pip he will get the rate for whatever he is awarded care or mobility, if its a new claim it will be backdated to when he first applied.

Laucol1992,

To start with we cannot guess what ESA group the Decision Maker will award, but we may be able to give some 'what ifs'.

So just to try and clarify a few things.

You say your partner has been getting Income Related ESA for a long time, in the WRAG group.
    (It will be IR if he has been in WRAG for more than a year).
    He has been to a reassessment and may (or may not) now get moved to Support Group.

It is important to know if when he first claimed ESA if it was Income Related or Contribution Based.
    (If he was working and had to give up work before he claimed ESA would be a good indication).

I think you also say that he is getting PIP.
    Is this Daily Living, Mobility, or Both? (and at which rate for each?).

You also say that you are his carer, are you claiming Carers Allowance for that?

Sorry for all the questions but the answers do make a big difference.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

No that’s fine he gets pip enchanted rate for daily living I do get carers allowance and no he’s always been on work related income based but his condition has got worse he hasn’t had a assessment for nearly 4 years but doesn’t have to give sick notes in but does have to attend job centre does this help? Thanks

Yes it helps,

Forget the sicknote thing, nobody has to send them once awarded a group, and (almost) everyone on WRAG is called into the jobcentre.

If he has always been on Income Related ESA then that will not change even if he is awarded Support Group.
    (It only matters if you were on Contribution Based when the claim was first awarded).

The fact that you get Carers Allowance will make a difference to what ESA Premiums are paid IF he does get awarded Support Group.
    I'm not the best for this, don't seem to get my head fully around the CA/Premiums bit, but others here know it like the back of their hand and should be along if needed.

But at the moment this is all a bit of speculation, I hope it goes as you expect.

Oh, the other question about backdating:
    If he does get awarded Support Group then it will only apply from the date when this reassessment decision is made, so can only be dated from when this new decision is made.
    The old decision was correct (unless there was an appeal) and so applies until any new decision is made.

What difference would it make if it was contributed based than income related then? And thank u for your help ????????

Quote Originally Posted by Laucol1992 View Post
    What difference would it make if it was contributed based than income related then? And thank u for your help ????????
    If an ESA claim starts as Contribution Based then it will be Contribution Based anytime the claimant is in Support Group.

If an ESA claim starts as Income Related then it will always be Income Related whatever the group.

It is also possible to have CB ESA with an IR entitlement, as long as the initial claim was CB.

eg.
    You could start on CB WRAG, after 52 weeks this has to change to IR WRAG, but if you are later awarded SG then the SG part becomes CB ESA again.
    Or you could start on CB SG, get moved to WRAG later which after 52 weeks becomes IR, but if later moved back to SG again the SG part becomes CB ESA again.

The big differences:
    • CB ESA is not affected by any income/savings you or your partner have - IR ESA is affected by income and/or by savings over £6K.
    • IR ESA automatically entitles you to Free prescriptions and other Healthcare costs, CB ESA on it's own does not qualify for these.
    • IR ESA can 'passport' you to other benefits.
    • An IR entitlement in Support Group automatically entitles you to extra money in the form of the Enhanced Disability Premium. (For this reason it's aften called an 'IR top-up').
    • An IR entitlement could possibly entitle you to the Severe Disability Premium if you also have DLA/PIP.
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-13-2018 at 03:21 PM.