Thread: 12 week build limit

12 week build limit

It has been mentioned the VW Beetle, Scirocco and Jetta along with Audi A4, Q3, Mazda CX5 and numerous SEAT cars plus Ssangyong Rexton W are not on the scheme this quarter. In all cases, I believe, it's due to the manufacturers inability to meet Motability's 12 week build deadline. This should ensure anyone ordering a car upon receipt of their paperwork should receive it upon expiry of their 3 year lease.

How set in stone is the 12 week rule though because my last car was 14 weeks in all and Motability did not seem to be slightest bit concerned.

Having been a member of the Mk7 VW Golf forum for years I’ve noted on many occasions that cars often go pass the 12 week delivery times and going back to the months leading up to ordering my Golf there was a lot of talk about the DSG gear box being in short supply and effecting all models in the WAG group.

The other thing I’ve noted but of course not sure, not being a motor manufacture and knowing about production line jigging, is if you order an unpopular colour or add unpopular extras this can add time to the delivery dates too. I’ve been told this is due to how the production lines are set up and if for an example they have 10,000 orders for blue cars and 1,000 orders for green cars then the blue get priority and the green get put back a week or so while they knock out the blue ones and in the meanwhile lots more blue orders come in and put back the green orders even later.

The way my mind thinks is some of the manufactures are not too fussed about Motability with a take it or leave it attitude and tell Motability just that, we can’t guarantee 12 weeks for unseen reasons so if they can’t live with that they withdraw the car. As we, the front end customers often see in some dealers showrooms “Motability sir, there’s the car, take it or leave it” and in the back of my mind I always have the feeling, me the customer are taking up their valuable time and often given wrong information just because they can’t be bothered to check something out for you.

That said the dealer I used for my Motability Golf was very good and now that I actually own the car will continue to use them.

Off topic, anyone noticed that this forum site seem to be being bombarded by spammers of late.

I understand the 12 week rule is new this year. I may be wrong but that's what I have read, but am sure there is a bit of flexibility. A SEAT dealer quoted me 26 weeks on the Ateca. It's gone this Q. Carwo have a page which shows current delivery times. Agree totally with spanners comments. Hopefully the mods will take down posts and take action to prevent more spam posts.

Could well be a new rule fwipperie because I may have wrongly assumed there was a 12 week waiting period because of the earliest time you can order a renewal is 12 weeks though of course if it’s a first car for a new Motability customer that time can be reduced if the dealer has one laying around as was the case with my first Motability Golf that came after 6 weeks from order.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    Could well be a new rule fwipperie because I may have wrongly assumed there was a 12 week waiting period because of the earliest time you can order a renewal is 12 weeks though of course if it’s a first car for a new Motability customer that time can be reduced if the dealer has one laying around as was the case with my first Motability Golf that came after 6 weeks from order.
    I understand Motability will not entertain 4, 5 and 6 month builds anymore as this results in extended leases for as you correctly say, nobody can order a replacement car more than 13 weeks in advance. I recall many years ago seeing a narrative "stock cars only" against the VW cc, I suspect for a similar reason.