Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cost and new tests for Blue badge

I've just got a blue badge from Hampshire county council, on the form is stated £2.00 (downloaded from their website) and that's what I sent them :-)

Account deleted
    About the Blue Badge Scheme The Blue Badge scheme is for people with severe mobility problems. It allows Blue Badge holders to park close to where they need to go. The scheme operates throughout the UK and is managed by local authorities, who deal with applications and issue Blue Badges. Learn more about the scheme.
    Important changes to the scheme
    The following changes will be made to the scheme over the next year:

•the maximum fee a local council can charge for a Blue Badge will increase from £2 to £10
    •the design of the Blue Badge will change to aid enforcement and make it harder to tamper with or forge
    •more disabled children and service personnel (eg members of the armed forces) will qualify for a Blue Badge
    There will be no change in the way you apply for a Blue Badge.

See the link 'Blue Badge reform' to read more about the proposed changes.

Blue Badge reform - Department for Transport website Opens new windowAbout the scheme
    Find out how to apply for a Blue Badge
    Getting a Blue BadgeThe application of the scheme differs in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Please see the relevant website for more information – listed below. The information on this page relates to England unless specified.

In England, Blue Badge holders may generally park:

•on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours, except where there is a ban on loading or unloading
    •at 'on-street' parking meters and pay-and-display machines for free and for as long as they need to
    Download 'The Blue Badge Scheme - rights and responsibilities in England' (PDF, 1328K)Help with PDF filesWelsh Assembly government website - Transport Opens new windowBlue Badge scheme - Transport Scotland website Opens new windowBlue Badge scheme - Northern Ireland Roads Service website Opens new windowWhere the scheme does not apply
    The scheme does not apply to off-street car parks, private roads and at most airports. However, parking spaces may be offered to badge holders, but do not assume you can park for free.

The scheme does not fully apply in four central London boroughs, who offer their own parking concessions:

•City of London
    •City of Westminster
    •Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
    •part of the London Borough of Camden
    However, they do provide blue badge parking bays, which you can find on the Blue Badge London map.

Blue Badge London (opens in new window) Opens new windowDisplaying the Blue Badge
    You should display the Blue Badge where it can be clearly read through the windscreen of your vehicle. The front of the badge should face upwards, showing the wheelchair symbol.

You should be sent a parking clock with your Blue Badge. The parking clock must show your time of arrival and be displayed next to your Blue Badge when you park either:

•on yellow lines
    •in other places where there is a time restriction
    If there is a time restriction, the clock should be set to show the quarter hour period during which you arrived.

When no parking concessions are being used, Blue Badges should be removed from view.

Hi
    I live up in the highlands near Inverness and it costs £20 to renew

Account deleted
    How much does a blue badge cost?
    Aberdeenshire Council charges £17.50 for a blue badge.

And then you have £2.50 admin charge meaning twenty quid.

Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire County Council are still charging £2 for the issue of a Blue Badge

Derbyshire County Council at the moment charge nothing although I suspect that will change in the near future.

£2 here on the Wirral.

It's still free for renewals here in South Ribble (Preston, Lancs).

New applications cost £5

There aren't any admin fees as all applications are done at a local library using webcams and a live link.
    Motability Car History
    05/2009-05/2012; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg (34.2 - 56.5mpg)
    06/2012-Present; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 24,000 miles; avg 38.1mpg (33.6 - 56.7mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

This remark is out of order.

Being disabled does not necessarily mean being completely immobile. Many people who are disabled do not look in the least as if they are, myself being one. Walking gives me a lot of pain but not to do so would be worse in the long term, but I definitely require a blue badge as some days are worse than others. I do use a walking stick sometimes and always carry it with me but often it is folded as I always need it when standing still (say at checkouts). If I did not have the blue badge then undoubtedly I would often be unable to go out as I cannot walk too far but I can walk around a supermarket for an hour with my stick. Unfortunately some disabled people think they are a special case and are condescending to others. Not only am I registered disabled due to a curvature of the spine, arthritis in the spine, hands and shoulders, but I am a part-time support worker working with vulnerable adults who have learning disabilities. Would it really help me if I sat on my backside 24/7 and expected everyone to run around me? And what about the cost to the local authority and government because I would not be partially supporting myself?

There are varying degrees of disability, if I did not have the badge then in the forseeable future I would probably be completely unable to walk unaided. Thank goodness not everyone is so ignorant!! A little more thought for others is required here I think, disabilities come in many forms!