Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing my house

Sharing my house

Hi, I am new here and wondering if you can help.

I am claiming ESA - I was on IB but have been put on support group recently. I also have mortgage interest income support and council tax benefit. I want to offer somewhere to live to a friend but am very concerned about how this may affect my benefits. Of course it would make sense that they should pay towards my housing costs so it may be ok to lose council tax benefit and some or even all of the mortgage interest (depending on the amount we agree they contribute) but will I have my ESA reduced? How will this be calculated. I would really like to have the company but worried about the finances.

Also I don't know what might happen to my income support claim if I stop it while this person is here and contributing then they move out again. Will I be able to immediately claim again?

I would be very grateful if anyone knows how this might work or where I could go for accurate advice.

Thank you very much.

Marianne

I realise I should have mentioned that my friend is working.

You won't have to stop your ESA, but the main concern is the income you will get from your friend, which would affect your Income Support as well as Council Tax and the Mortgage Interest payments. Depending on how much rent she pays it might also affect your ESA, if that is income based.
    You ned to get some advice from CAB or a similar advice centre, who will be able to work out what amount of rent would affect you the least, and also advise on what would be considered to be a fair rent by the DWP.

Yes, it is complicated as to what they pay & what benefits you have. It is accepted they would contribute to the bills of course. The best way I think is to work this out bewteeen the two fo you on shared bills. As to any income you get from rent, that will affect benefits. The Council Tax will go up of course, so them paying that should not affect you, but it could if it is in your name & they pay you not the Council directly. So, yes, advice is needed to see what you may lose, what you can charge them, what would be best they pay themselves, & what they contribute to household bills.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

thank you

Thank you so much for replying. That is some reassurance that things won't just stop. I really appreciate you taking the time. It's good to "meet" you both.

Best wishes, Marianne

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by marianne245 View Post
    Thank you so much for replying. That is some reassurance that things won't just stop. I really appreciate you taking the time. It's good to "meet" you both.

Best wishes, Marianne
    There is nothing in any post that would reassure me that things wont just stop you have not put if your on IR or CB ESA if you have a small pension or the income your fiend has if they wok moe than 24

you need advice

I agree with DW.
    You need to figure this out exactly as to finances, best bet is a face to face with CAB to go through everything, it's not possible here.
    Only to add, the DWP may want to question the term " friend" as to paying lodger.

YW Marianne. Yes, they could question the term friend. They can assume that means more than friend, or something else.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by Stepheninleeds View Post
    YW Marianne. Yes, they could question the term friend. They can assume that means more than friend, or something else.
    I agree there is a chance they will read more into it than there is, I did see a thread on one forum (Not B&W) where there was a question over a relationship that was just that a friend staying and paying there share...............the dwp came and they looked at kitchen front room bank details house hold bills ect ect what proved the point in there favour was a letter to insurance company point that there was someone moving in paying there way and what did it do to there contents insurance ... as of course standard policy wont cover you once you have someone else with access

Yes, why it is best to keep everything separate & have the tenant pay rent, board or contribute to bills, etc.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen